Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not sure what to do

Over the past week, I've had a tough time deciding what I should do. The only car I have right now is an 88 Justy, which is currently not going anywhere (no exhaust, vacuum leaks, 3 flat tires, no radiator fan). My options are: save up $900 and buy my Mom's 86 Blazer, which has no problems except for a couple oil leaks, or save up some money and buy another Soob. I've been leaning toward the Blazer cause my Mom has had it for 3 years and never had a problem with it. So what should I do?

Over the past week, I've had a tough time deciding what I should do. The only car I have right now is an 88 Justy, which is currently not going anywhere (no exhaust, vacuum leaks, 3 flat tires, no radiator fan). My options are: save up $900 and buy my Mom's 86 Blazer, which has no problems except for a couple oil leaks, or save up some money and buy another Soob. I've been leaning toward the Blazer cause my Mom has had it for 3 years and never had a problem with it. So what should I do?

No matter how you look at it cars are money traps for the average person and too find a car that is dependable and your able to work on puts money back into your pocket. Some drive the older rigs for that reason that they can work on them, no payments and kind of fun, others buy a new Sazukie or Kia and change oil till the first maintenance at 100,000 miles.

Your answer depends on what you can afford to buy, afford to operate, afford to maintaine and keep operating and afford too insure. When you say buy your mom's car, , I am assuming cash in full.. none of this... mom I will pay you next month.. not a good thing...

Cars are poor investments (for the average person) and everyperson has different needs and expectations. Since you don't have a car right now and warmer weather is just months away... save during the summer (yes the bike thing but it's cheap transportation) and possibly buy a nicer car with less miles etc. at the end of summer if you truely need the car.

My thoughts.

Some drive the older rigs for that reason that they can work on them, no payments and kind of fun, others buy a new Sazukie or Kia and change oil till the first maintenance at 100,000 miles.

Some get an itch for a new car, buy a new Kia, and dont even get 25,000 miles out of it. Sounds like me :lol:

Blazer's are tough little Chevys. If you have to, go for that.. while you save and look for a good Subaru :banana:

FIll us in, what are your needs, and your gas budget. That 900 bucks could probably go a long way to fixing the justy. Is the justy a stick or auto or awd?

nipper

My budget is kinda slim, cause on top of rent, I'm paying my parents back the 5 or so grand I owe them

My Justys a 5 speed, and fwd. This summer I want to put 4wd into it, and possibly lift it a couple inches, that's why Im not going to put any money into it now, so I can save up for the Blazer.

Take my advice having accsess to both a 91 loyale and my girlfreinds 87 blazer,

The subaru is more comfortable, drives nicer , gets better mileage,

The blazer squeaks and rattles,ALOT the back windows don't go down so the front ones blow wind in you face, Blazer is MISERABLE when AC goes out,

The only reliable thing is the engine which is actually a small block chevy with two cylinders lopped off to make a V6. The trannys are notorius for failing "automatic" Have not heard anything about manual trans.

Normally I like chevy's as far as domestic goes but the more I drive my loyale the less we use the blazer" she prefers the subaru as well!

Oh GM also used water based paint in that eradue to EPA paint restrictions, and ours is trying real hard to peel, oxidize etc.

If you do your own maintenance and know subarus already I'd be suprised if you would'nt regret the blazer over a good used loyale/gl/legacy, Almost as soon as you own it.

Good Luck

The blazer squeaks and rattles,ALOT the back windows don't go down so the front ones blow wind in you face, Blazer is MISERABLE when AC goes out,

The only reliable thing is the engine which is actually a small block chevy with two cylinders lopped off to make a V6. The trannys are notorius for failing "automatic" Have not heard anything about manual trans.

My Mom's doesnt have ac, its a 2 door, and has a manual trans. I'm leaning towards it because IMO, it's worth the $900 because in the 3 years shes owned it, other than routine maintenance, the things shes had to have done to it is a tune up, and have a new radiator installed. Other than that, its ran like a champ.

My Mom's doesnt have ac, its a 2 door, and has a manual trans. I'm leaning towards it because IMO, it's worth the $900 because in the 3 years shes owned it, other than routine maintenance, the things shes had to have done to it is a tune up, and have a new radiator installed. Other than that, its ran like a champ.

I hate to say it, but sometimes that just means that it has that much more maintenance about to come due, IE, parts are all old and may fail shortly...

Just a question...is this one of those Blazers where you have to go in through the wheel well to get to the back plugs? I know it was some sort of stupid design with you had to do it that way or pull the motor just to change out the spark plugs?..I could be wrong.

Also..think about this...the Blazers are nice..I know a few people with them...but if money is an object..and you have to do the maintenance yourself...the Subaru is a much easier vehicle to work on....Labor costs.lower..plus..most of the parts are cheaper too..down to little things like tires..If you go with an EA82 ..timing belts ..no big deal and who cares if you break one..its non-interference..no motor damage..and like others mentioned...gas mileage...big difference..A FWD EA82 with the 5spd can get into the mid to high 30s mpg and the 4WD ones are into the high 20s..heck my XT6s last tank was about 22 mpg...not too bad for a 6 cyl 5 spd full-time 4wd...and I did drive it like I stole it...;)

Good Luck and keep looking...when the right thing comes up...you will know

If yer near Olympia I'll sell ya my 87 GL, FT4wd turbo, insides are a little messy and rough, and it needs new exhaust, it's ugly too (kicked in door, only one major spot of rust, hood is fugly). I want to keep working on it but I just discovered $600 of debt :\

MY grandmas got a 94 Automatic 4.3 Vortec 2 door blazer. I LIKE it alot, its nice to drive, but....it does rattle from the back, (my subaru rattled too) and she hasnt had any transmission problems, changing the fluid and filter go a long way as maintence. And the engine...she lost one of the rod bearings for no reason, full of oil, never abused. LUCKILY it was under warrenty from the dealer she got it from. She had a 1987 GL-10 before the blazer, she hated that little subaru tho, lol, constantly fixing it. But the blazer just recently had the radiator or somthing blow out, she didnt say specificly. But That blazer gets TERRIBLE gas mileage, like barley more than a truck with a V8 would get.

I admit I have not heard nasty stories about the manual tranny only the auto.

Our's is also a two door and the back windows were desinged to be fixed (not go down). What I meant to say.I did not explain it well, In a subaru with either front window open a little or all the way, the wind blows you right in the face. Especially at higher speeds, But when you crack the rear window(3-4") on the side side of the open front glass, The wind blows past your head instead of on it.(I doubt the engineers planned it, But for me It is actually one of the reasons I like subarus! And High on the list of reasons we drive it

Instead of the blazer. I may sound minor but if you drive any distance in summer, It quickly becomes a fairly big deal! Some people are ok running AC

from spring to fall. I don't care for it much, And use it only when I have to.

I'm sure your mom's giving you a good buy on the Blazer. But don't be suprised

If you find yourself longing for a subaru! Who knows? Maybe you can run an ad and find someone who'll trade a nice loyale for the blazer!

If yer near Olympia I'll sell ya my 87 GL, FT4wd turbo, insides are a little messy and rough, and it needs new exhaust, it's ugly too (kicked in door, only one major spot of rust, hood is fugly). I want to keep working on it but I just discovered $600 of debt :\

Your both in Washington. Might be do able, In Northern Ca. (where I live) Junkyard gets $50 for a hood, $75 for door, Quite possibly even the correct color! If you bought both they might throw in the exhaust, Chances are it would have been replace/repaired by now. Junk cars generally have some newer parts (repairs before the owner gave up) Any way.

Good Luck to you both!

Just a question...is this one of those Blazers where you have to go in through the wheel well to get to the back plugs? I know it was some sort of stupid design with you had to do it that way or pull the motor just to change out the spark plugs?..I could be wrong.

Also..think about this...the Blazers are nice..I know a few people with them...but if money is an object..and you have to do the maintenance yourself...the Subaru is a much easier vehicle to work on....Labor costs.lower..plus..most of the parts are cheaper too..down to little things like tires..If you go with an EA82 ..timing belts ..no big deal and who cares if you break one..its non-interference..no motor damage..and like others mentioned...gas mileage...big difference..A FWD EA82 with the 5spd can get into the mid to high 30s mpg and the 4WD ones are into the high 20s..heck my XT6s last tank was about 22 mpg...not too bad for a 6 cyl 5 spd full-time 4wd...and I did drive it like I stole it...;)

Good Luck and keep looking...when the right thing comes up...you will know

My pre Vortec "87" blazer has good clearance for minor maintenence/repair. Still, it's an S/10 chassis, And I will never be convinced that the S/10 is anything like a REAL chevy. Psylosyfer

Go and get an EA82/Loyale! The most charismatic soob out there!

Lukas

Yeah I like my Loyale, But I wish they would have left in the niceties that my OLDER GL's had stock. Like speakers in all 4 doors, not 2 (and the 2 are not as good quality or as big as the 4 were), the dual map light near the mirror, a second dome light in the cargo area,the little foot rest for drivers left foot, (my carpet in the loyale is getting damaged for lack of that foot rest) variable int. wipers instead of one speed of intermittent wipe, Higher quality door panel materials, etc. I guess you could say subaru did a good job of lowering their cost from GL to loyale.