Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Too high of a price?

Every day on my way to and from work, I pass a wholesale car lot. About a week ago, I spotted two 87 or 88 wagons and today I decided to stop and look at them. No one was there, so I couldn't ask any questions about them. The maroon one has ~268,000 on it, the windshield is spidered, the interior reeks of wet dog, and there is garbage and hair all over the floor, and the price is $888. The blue one has ~350,000 on it, and the interiors pretty clean, it almost looks like it was detailed recently. The price on this one is $1888. It almost seems kinda high, with over 350,000 miles on it, ya?

That's insane. Unless it's something special, no EA82 with over 300k is worth more than $500 tops. I bought my 86 sedan with 208k for $100. Keep looking.

So in the other thread you were talking about your justy..... is it a 5 speed 4WD? I've always wanted one..... maybe we could work out a partial trade or something.

GD

That's insane. Unless it's something special, no EA82 with over 300k is worth more than $500 tops. I bought my 86 sedan with 208k for $100. Keep looking.

So in the other thread you were talking about your justy..... is it a 5 speed 4WD? I've always wanted one..... maybe we could work out a partial trade or something.

GD

Kelley blue book would disagree. But that seems to be the truth for the most part. It all depends on how they run and what driving is worth to ya. It would have to be pretty F%@&in sweet for $1888!!! LOL

too much.. but it is a dealership.. i paid 700 for my 88 turbo sedan.. 200 for a turbo wagon.. 125 for an 86 turbo sedan.. but i did pay 1800 for a rx coupe with 75k on the clock at a dealership..

the first three listed had less than 200k.. my current ride the 88.. had 170k when i got it, but a new motor, new air ride and clean interior..

bottom line.. keep lookin.. theres much better deals out there

rllywgn

It's all about where you are man... you're in WA state... :lol: I'd turn down that car in a heartbeat! Out here though... I dont know about that. We get these dealers that sell '84 corollas with 400k on them for $3,999 :lol: I've actually never seen a subaru of our vintages sold at a dealer lot...

Sounds insane. Paid $400 for my 4x4 5spd 92 loyale w/ 107k. Nice body & interior. If it has new drive line parts and a rust free body, sure $1800 I guess. But, it would have to be nice. Have one of these guys close to you take a look at it w/ you.

Hey, what do you mean about being in (or near) WI vs west coast? Rust? Guess so. Ours would be rotten by 300k... :mad:

sorry, but IMHO both are over priced - as any Soob on a car lot will be. search craigslist & local papers for a better deal - they are out there.

I bought my first Subaru, 89 GL wagon, 5 spd, FWD, 5-1/2 yrs ago for $150 with 142,500 on the clock - still driving it.:grin: Just about to turn over 250,000 on the clock - sometime next week. :banana:

Just picked up a '90 Legacy LS, 4EAT, AWD with 158K on the clock for $200 - had to go to Madison to pick it up (I am near Marshfield, WI) but hey, ya do what ya gotta do to feed the Subaru habit!! :lol:

including the parts cars, we now have a total of 7 Subies - never paid more than $250 for any of them (4 of the 7 run/drive - 3 are licensed - the legacy isnt yet, but will be soon)

I wasn't planning on buying either of them, I just thought they were overpriced and wanted to see what other people think.

GeneralDisorder, it's a 5 speed, but its only a fwd. Sorry, but I'm not gonna let it go, I'm going to turn it into a project this summer.

Remeber - you are in WI - we are not. BIG difference.

GD

I lived in Corvallis OR for 12 years. 7 of the 8 Subarus I've bought, I bought in OR. Besides, Cars are worth WAAAYYY less here. Because old cars tend to fall apart here, you could not give away a car with more than 200,000 miles. Seriously, you can't, except to charity or J-yards. People are scared of 100,000 miles out here. They don't even realize their cars would last longer if not for the salt. And that out west things are further apart so cars accumulate more miles.

when did you livein Corvallis? I've lived in Albany since 95, aside from my 1.5 years in Wyoming, and I moved to Corvallis in December of 06...

I wonder if that dealer is one of those cash talks and bull**** walks dealers? Like walk in with $500 cash and maybe get the 800 dollar one... and if he won't take it, just put your money back in your pocket and walk away....

I have had 2 87 gl's and a "special gl import from japan shipped special for a rich japanese dudes daughter to use for college" it had EVERY option ever invented and then some that I never even seen in a cadillac!

I paid $100, $20, $100 respectively. Since I found a clean 91 Loyale with 40K

on engine for $500.

The only one that needed no work "at first" was the $20 car!

other 2 gl's needed timing belts for one and head gaskets for the other, then ran for years, The loyale needed a fuel pump and had a fouled plug.

I have even been offered free sub's the owners wanted hauled off.

So shop around it pays!

I wasn't planning on buying either of them, I just thought they were overpriced and wanted to see what other people think.

GeneralDisorder, it's a 5 speed, but its only a fwd. Sorry, but I'm not gonna let it go, I'm going to turn it into a project this summer.

Did you catch the thread for you about a wagon for $600 ?