Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just had my clutch replaced and am curious of what a good ratio for the speedometer to the tachmometer should be. I wonder if I am losing MPG this way. Currently when I am at about 70 mph my rpms are about 3K. is that rights? Also there is a bit of a chirp or ringing sound coming from ny new clutch is that common?

I just had my clutch replaced and am curious of what a good ratio for the speedometer to the tachmometer should be. I wonder if I am losing MPG this way. Currently when I am at about 70 mph my rpms are about 3K. is that rights? Also there is a bit of a chirp or ringing sound coming from ny new clutch is that common?

Well a clutch won't effect the speed to rpm in any way, at all, period.

And that sound is probably not normal. How long has it been since it was changed?

and it especially won't affect the speoodmoeter

I had the clutch replaced on friday.

My question regarding the speedometer tach ratio is whether or not I'm losing gas mileage. If I'm at 70mph is it right for the RPMS to be around 3k?

take it back and have them check out the noise. and 3k sounds about right to me. if you slowed your speed a bit, i guess you'd save some more gas because of less wind resistance. i hope i answered the "am i losing gas mileage" question, if i understood it correctly.

I had the clutch replaced on friday.

My question regarding the speedometer tach ratio is whether or not I'm losing gas mileage. If I'm at 70mph is it right for the RPMS to be around 3k?

My comment was regarding your spelling.

But, yeah, sure, sounds right even though we have no idea what car you drive.

The back of your owner's manual should list the gear ratios and final drive. From there you can calculate the circumference of the tires and figure out what revs you should be at for a given speed. For there to be a problem the clutch would have to be slipping and you would notice that.

Yes it was some pretty bad spelling. I had it done by an independent fellow. I just realized that even a bit of pressure on the clutch pedal will cause the sound. I think I'll survive. thank for the tips. oh and my car didn't come with a manual. I drive a 98 legacy l seres wagon. no idea on the size of the tires.

Yes it was some pretty bad spelling. I had it done by an independent fellow. I just realized that even a bit of pressure on the clutch pedal will cause the sound. I think I'll survive. thank for the tips. oh and my car didn't come with a manual. I drive a 98 legacy l seres wagon. no idea on the size of the tires.

They should be 185/65/r14 Thats what mom's 98 l sedan has.

That that sounds like throw out bearing to me....