Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacies ROCK! (aka: I'm a bad person)

Just got back from spring break in Southeast Alaska, and I have to brag about my Subaru. As I've mentioned before, it's an 800 mile drive between Anchorage and Haines. Most people take between 14 and 16 hours to do the drive, often over the course of two days because it's pretty grueling, going over 3 or 4 relatively high passes and having long sections of badly damaged road. My typical times in the old EA82 cars were in the 13 hour range if I was pushing it, to give you some idea. Well, I just did it in 11 hours and 15 minutes. That works out to an overall average of 71 mph including stops, icy and snowy roads, slowing for wildlife on the road, border crossings, and everything.

Oh yeah, this was in Sophia, my 92 Legacy w/ EJ22 and 4EAT...stock drivetrain with 178,000 miles. I think Matt would be proud of his old car.

:burnout:

Yes, I am. I am also glad it went to a good home as I know I'll see it for many months to come (until you graduate and return to Haines). That may very well be faster than I did that leg of the trip when I brought the XT6 back from WA. It's not as fast as the first half of the trip, however.:grin:

Yes, I am. I am also glad it went to a good home as I know I'll see it for many months to come (until you graduate and return to Haines). That may very well be faster than I did that leg of the trip when I brought the XT6 back from WA. It's not as fast as the first half of the trip, however.:grin:

Hmmm... you thinking about driving down to WCSS this year?:brow:

Probably not. Wrong time of the year and I have to drive Ryan to Colorado in early August. We bought him a Mazda B3000 and Ellen isn't too hip on him making the drive alone. Construction season will be in full swing in June. I hate to miss out; maybe I'll be able to fly in for a couple of days. I'll have to see what time will allow. How about you?

Dude that's insane and awesome at the same time. Im used to the flat midwest and have a hard time even comprehending a trip like that. Dont people die if they get stuck out there? I mean, I'm looking at the map and there's NOTHING around.

You made great time! I have driven the stretch of road to haines a few times and it can be pretty long and tiring.One things for sure is that it is much different than driving from state to state in the lower 48.Pot holes wake you up pretty good on a long trip.:) I did a bit of gold panning when I was last in haines.