Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone Know of Steel Piston Transplant?

I plan to get some work done on my 98 Leg OB, ie. head gaskets:-\ , shims adjusted, clutch, oil seals, and belts. Am I forgetting anything....? I don't really have much in the way of cold engine piston slap, but thought about replacing rings anyway since the mechanic will be in there anyhow. He said it wouldn't be worth doing unless I get a valve job w/new pistons because the rings won't seal it any better since there's already a gap between the aluminum pistons and cylinder. Anyhow, I met a guy at the grocery store one day that had a cool 2002 imp. wrx. He said that his friends replaced the Al pistons with steel Ford pistons. Has anyone you know had this done? Any benefits? I haven't been able to find any info about The reaming of the cylinder wall and replacement of the pistons in regards to gas mileage, only supposed to increase compression, hence horses. Before the heads went, the car had enough horses for my style of driving, but wanted to know your opinion about the above questions and whether or not you'd have that extra work done on yours in my shoes?

Thanks,

eq

ps: Going to take the car in tomorrow if he can get it into his schedule. I also found a site http://nasioc.com and did a search. Found a LOT of info on the piston issue. It sounds mighty involved.

:confused:

Steel pistons? Thats really odd. Usually you want lighter pistons for a few reasons. the first one is higher revs and faster throttle response. The second is for combustion temps and emissions. Cars have been using aluminum pistons for ages. I see nothing but negatives to using steel pistons. I know of some that use a steel crown and an aluminum skirt. Heavy Duty Deisel engines use them also, but they are generally big low reveing lazy engines compared to ours.

nipper

:confused:

Steel pistons? Thats really odd. Usually you want lighter pistons for a few reasons. the first one is higher revs and faster throttle response. The second is for combustion temps and emissions. Cars have been using aluminum pistons for ages. I see nothing but negatives to using steel pistons. [...]

I wonder if the folks using steel pistons are the same ones lightening the crank pulley? Gotta balance out that moving mass. :rolleyes:

I'm sure he means "forged" pistons.

No, That's what I thought at first, so I asked him again, and I was told by this guy at the store that his friends rebuilt his WRX and replaced his pistons with steel FORD pistons. Don't ask me why, I wanted to know myself and see if this would be an advisable change. I've come to the conclusion that it may do more harm than good since the garage I'm taking it to hasn't ever done that.

eq

No, That's what I thought at first, so I asked him again, and I was told by this guy at the store that his friends rebuilt his WRX and replaced his pistons with steel FORD pistons. Don't ask me why, I wanted to know myself and see if this would be an advisable change. I've come to the conclusion that it may do more harm than good since the garage I'm taking it to hasn't ever done that.

eq

I don't think it would be a good idea. steel pistons in an aluminum block is just not my idea of a good thing to do.

Pop for some forged pistons. If thats the route you want to go with a build.