Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi there, can anyone give me any advice on the Tribeca? I currently own a 1996 Outback Impreza and it's been great aside from the infamous "tap". I need a bigger vehichle and so I'm looking to purchase a Tribeca. New or used depending if there are any issues with any of the models. Has anyone here have had any problems with it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Tony

Well, just like the 05+ Legacies that they're based on, they have had some issues with the radio/HVAC displays. We had a Tribeca demo here at work that the owner's son was driving that had the whole display go blank. I also have a friend in Gainesville whose mom has an 05 Legacy i that had the display replaced twice, they were almost ready to lemon-law it.

As far as mechanical stuff goes though, you should be fine. I haven't seen any blown-up H6's sitting around the shop, and that engine has been out since 01.

The Tribeca has the H-6 engine which has a timing chain. I know that chains usually go a very time before they need replacement. But when you do replace the timing chain you also replace everything the chain runs over. This is usually very expensive. Does anyone know how much timing chain replacement costs on a H-6?

i just watched a budy do one and with labor at 75an hour it came to close to 1200 bucks for everything, remember water pump, oilpump, there all h6 specific, anyway this one had 130k on it and the chain was replaced could have gone longer but these things have lots and lots of orings on the rear timing case and then to be leaky i think we have the new ea82 as far as leaks go...

i just watched a budy do one and with labor at 75an hour it came to close to 1200 bucks for everything, remember water pump, oilpump, there all h6 specific, anyway this one had 130k on it and the chain was replaced could have gone longer but these things have lots and lots of orings on the rear timing case and then to be leaky i think we have the new ea82 as far as leaks go...

Not to mention 100 bolts. I was hoping for more then 130K on one, like almost 200K. 200K would justify the expense. How bad wa sit to set up the timing?

New Tribeccas 08 will have a more powerful engine. There will be good deals on 06 (i thihk they are skipping 07 not sure from a design point of view) or wait till the end of this year for the 08.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225173

Usually the life of a timing chain depends on service interval and how the vehicle was driven. 120K on a well oiled bicycle type chain is rather dissappointing considering Saab/Volvo seem to get around 200,000 miles (not k) on a similar type set-up (I have a Saab coming into timing chain replacement time @ 325,000, it's just starting to get noisy, parts cost roughly $500). I have done Volvo chains at around 200,000 miles (V-6).