Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a place in the country i go on weekends and i'm always carrying gas for the lawnmower, chainsaw, weedeater etc. when i drove my truck, having a gas can in the back wasn't a problem, but carrying it inside my 97 obw just STINKS.

does any one have an idea how to tap into a fuel line (which one, where) on my wagon with a "T" and a valve so i can pump 5 gals out of the gas tank and into a holding tank? i'd like to avoid throwing a code, damaging the fuel system and blowing myself up. is this feasible?

thanks for any suggestions, john

Why not just get a non venting can instead of screwin with teh car? You can carry a sealed one in the car just fine, I've done it before and didnt smell any gas, but it was only for about 30 minutes so I dont know how it would be for the long haul.

Besides, when you open one of those it sounds liek Darth Vader is jumping out at you. :banana:

If you want to tee in, the optimal place would be either right after the fuel filter outlet, or possibly on the fuel pressure regulator return line to the tank. You could put a top quality ball valve optimally rated for gasoline I suppose though I don't know if there is such a thing. This obviously is not a place to skimp on anything since fuel leaks, well, could make the entire vehicle go up in flames. Maybe with a hose barb fitting after the ball valve so you can run some hose into your tank.

I've thought about this sort of setup too since it would be nice for if there's a power outage to withdraw gasoline for your generator. And it's much more 'stealthy' to refill your vehicle with 15 gallons of gasoline than several cans. And the metal FM rated cans fare much better in fires than the plastic ones which tend to melt and spill their contents.

I would also suggest carrying gas on the roof rack. I don't think gas cans even come non-vented? Since gasoline expands, you wouldn't want the can heating up and exploding inside the car.

Another thought is... assuming you have a trailer hitch, you could find a receiver that slides in that would act as a gas can holder, or, if clearance allows, they make those small storage platforms that slide into the hitch. These storage platforms are typically under $100 and available most anywhere, even Walmart. However, I don't know if the outback is tall enough.

There are many accessory-type devices that can slide into the receiver hitch such as bike racks, canoe racks, and bumper steps, and they are pretty reasonably priced. I would think you'd be able to find something to work, or at least be able to find something that can be modified easily enough to work.

I would also suggest carrying gas on the roof rack. I don't think gas cans even come non-vented? Since gasoline expands, you wouldn't want the can heating up and exploding inside the car.

Another thought is... assuming you have a trailer hitch, you could find a receiver that slides in that would act as a gas can holder, or, if clearance allows, they make those small storage platforms that slide into the hitch. These storage platforms are typically under $100 and available most anywhere, even Walmart. However, I don't know if the outback is tall enough.

There are many accessory-type devices that can slide into the receiver hitch such as bike racks, canoe racks, and bumper steps, and they are pretty reasonably priced. I would think you'd be able to find something to work, or at least be able to find something that can be modified easily enough to work.

Iv'e been looking for something like that for Blu. Il'd like to be able to mount a jerry can or two and a spare tire on the rack.

nipper

[...]Another thought is... assuming you have a trailer hitch, you could find a receiver that slides in that would act as a gas can holder, or, if clearance allows, they make those small storage platforms that slide into the hitch. These storage platforms are typically under $100 and available most anywhere, even Walmart. However, I don't know if the outback is tall enough.[...]

Hmmm, I don't know about that. What if you got rear-ended? Shades of Ford Pintos... :eek:

I can remember reading about someone taking a trip through mexico a while back, not sure if it was someone here or not. They carried gas in some metal gas containers that they purchased from an army surplus store, and said that they were great to have in the car.

Hmmm, I don't know about that. What if you got rear-ended? Shades of Ford Pintos... :eek:

Ford Pintos and ford crown Vics, in a rear end collision gas splashes on the hot exhaust and catches fire.

Gas tanks outside the vehical are 1000 times better then inside the vehical. For every scenario there is a counter scenario, like rolling over with gas on the roof rack.

I have gotten rear ended in a leagcy at 60mph. I can attest first hand that the car will structually hold together and the gas tank does not leak (that rules out the first possible BOOM).

I was pushed 150 feet past the point of impact so if there were cans on the back bumper car would have been shoved clear of it. I dont even want to think what it would be like if i had gas cans in the car.

I guess thats why when i pack for long trips i want to be able to have both rear seats up and be able to pull the cover close.

For every scenario there is another possible scenario ie Subwoofers if you get in an accident can become dangerous missles if they arent bolted down (or tools for that matter).

In my case, I wouldnt mind having the spare on the back carrier also.

I've been looking for a hitch type spare tire mount, but i cant find one.

Ok Who has a welder :)

nipper

[...]Gas tanks outside the vehical are 1000 times better then inside the vehical. For every scenario there is a counter scenario, like rolling over with gas on the roof rack.
Just to clarify things, I never suggested keeping gas cans inside a vehicle.

I have gotten rear ended in a leagcy at 60mph. I can attest first hand that the car will structually hold together and the gas tank does not leak (that rules out the first possible BOOM).

I was pushed 150 feet past the point of impact so if there were cans on the back bumper car would have been shoved clear of it. I dont even want to think what it would be like if i had gas cans in the car.[...]

If you think that someone plowing into your rear is unlikely to cause gas cans mounted there to rupture and possibly spew fuel so that something could ignite it (either due to a spark, your exhaust system, a part of the other vehicle), then best of luck. There's a reason why vehicle fuel tanks are located so that they're unlikely to be impacted in typical accidents :Flame: . Ford may have eventually figured that one out :rolleyes: .

The "shoved clear of it" scenario reminds me of people who don't wear seat belts because they would rather be thrown clear of a wreck than be trapped in it.

EDIT: For those with the patience to read it --

http://consumerlawpage.com/article/gm-exploding-tank.shtml

Just to clarify things, I never suggested keeping gas cans inside a vehicle.

If you think that someone plowing into your rear is unlikely to cause gas cans mounted there to rupture and possibly spew fuel so that something could ignite it (either due to a spark, your exhaust system, a part of the other vehicle), then best of luck. There's a reason why vehicle fuel tanks are located so that they're unlikely to be impacted in typical accidents :Flame: . Ford may have eventually figured that one out :rolleyes: .

The "shoved clear of it" scenario reminds me of people who don't wear seat belts because they would rather be thrown clear of a wreck than be trapped in it.

EDIT: For those with the patience to read it --

http://consumerlawpage.com/article/gm-exploding-tank.shtml

"The file you are looking for was not found. It may have been moved or deleted from this server. Use the box at the left to search the Consumer Law Page and Alexander Hawes, LLP. "

I am assuming that applies to GM side mounted gas tanks where the vehical does not lurch forward after getting hit due to the fact that the tires do not rotate in the direction of the impact.

I get a file not found on the link.

I dont even understand your logic on your last comment.

I am bowing out of this thread before i say something i shouldnt.

nipper

"The file you are looking for was not found. It may have been moved or deleted from this server. Use the box at the left to search the Consumer Law Page and Alexander Hawes, LLP. "

I am assuming that applies to GM side mounted gas tanks where the vehical does not lurch forward after getting hit due to the fact that the tires do not rotate in the direction of the impact.

I get a file not found on the link.

Interesting; I tried the link again myself and got the page with no problem. It's about the gas tanks mounted outside the frame rails on the C and K pickups. Here's one relevant excerpt:

Tank Location

The most basic step in the prevention of fuel spillage is to protect the fuel tank from foreign object penetration through the use of structural members of the vehicle. "Tank locations very close to the rear or front bumpers or tanks at hinge points of structural collapse for locations more remote from the bumper represent intrinsically dangerous installations."

I dont even understand your logic on your last comment.

I am bowing out of this thread before i say something i shouldnt.

nipper

Sorry if I offended you, but my comment was based on your saying "I was pushed 150 feet past the point of impact so if there were cans on the back bumper car would have been shoved clear of it." How one could assume that a rear-end collision and possible fireball at the rear bumper wouldn't affect an occupant is something I can't comprehend. If that isn't what you meant by your statement, then please clarify it.

so now you see my problem. inside the car's not safe, the rear bumper's not safe, the car top is maybe safer but still garranteed to come off if in a

major crash. :Flame::dead: i guess in the long run that would be safer for me.

so back to the drawing board. maybe a siphon hose, i'll have to try that. how much gas is too much to swallow.? :eek:

so now you see my problem. inside the car's not safe, the rear bumper's not safe, the car top is maybe safer but still garranteed to come off if in a

major crash. :Flame::dead: i guess in the long run that would be safer for me.

so back to the drawing board. maybe a siphon hose, i'll have to try that. how much gas is too much to swallow.? :eek:

----

I think someone suggested this earlier in the thread, but you could tap into the return line from the fuel pressure regulator...it'll have lower pressure on it. You could then wire a switch to turn the fuel pump on when the car is not running to pump out as needed.

Of course, if you want to keep it simple, they also make those accordian-pump-style syphoning hoses, so you no longer need to get a mouthful of unleaded when syphoning.

I want a diesel or propane lawnmower to help get around this problem. And an assistant to help start it! (Not that diesel smells great when transporting it in the car, but it's much less explosive.)

Nathan

----

I want a diesel or propane lawnmower to help get around this problem. And an assistant to help start it! (Not that diesel smells great when transporting it in the car, but it's much less explosive.)

Nathan

I got spoiled by my biodiesel vehicals last year, and now I can barely stand to work on the fuel systems of either diesel or gasoline. Both stink -- especially when you get it on your hands and smell it for the next few days -- especially diesel :banghead:. I use biodiesel as hand cleaner to take of grease and engine grime and it works really well, and very little aftersmell. Less volatile than diesel too, if you're worried about explosions.

On the subject of vented gas cans, I think that the majority of the new plastic ones are not vented. And yes, they do contort a bit when you change temperatures or elevations....

A lunchbreak thought:

A "few" years back, the auto stores sold a gas substitute in a plastic gas can that was "safe" for storage in the back of a car. I still have mine. No stink or smell. I've had it in my 95 since 95. I don't know if they still make them. I suppose it might be ethanol. It's a small can that supposedly would give me just enough to make it to the next gas station.

However, if you were on the Alcan (Alaska-Canada) run, that probably wouldn't help you....

Having a Sedan i dont have this problem much, i found a 2gal gas can fits perfect beside by subwoofer box and is held in place with a ratchet tie down.

And i dont think ive ever seen a vented gas can for sale here, theyre all the red plastic ones that bulge a bit in the heat.

Edit: Forgot to add my main point, i find leaving the can outside the car while i walk in to pay at the gas station lets any spilled fuel evaporate off the can, so when i stick it in the car theres even less of a smell. But i live in a small town where the odds of someone stealing my can whilst unattended are low.