Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flushing the Heater Core

I have read through other threads and I have a pretty good Idea of the process. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to post pictures of the correct hose(S) from the engine compartment to attach a garden hose to flush it out.

I have a 86 Subaru 1.8 L FI with AC.

Thanks for Your Time

Just be careful when flushing the heater cores..sometimes the added pressure can cause old weak spots to open up....plus the Subarus intake and outlets are vert close together and more times than not a flush doesnt help cause whats going in is coming straight out.

Another thing to try is compressed air ...worked wonders on my old POC Taurus..after multiple times using water and the flush kits didnt do anything..

Good Luck and let us know how you make out

this shot is taken from the driver's side of the car - note the starter for reference.

My car has a 4" lift (the engine is dropped 4") which is why the hoses are at funny angles.. but it should help you!

Could not open image in this thread, use this link

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/psylosyfer/gto/index.album/heater-hose-out?i=7

Outlet hose marked in red, flush INTO this hose untilthe other hose runs free & clear

Im going to go get a garden hose adapter thingy most likely this weekend

"the Subarus intake and outlets are vert close together and more times than not a flush doesnt help cause whats going in is coming straight out."

How will I know if this is happening?

Im going to go get a garden hose adapter thingy most likely this weekend

"the Subarus intake and outlets are vert close together and more times than not a flush doesnt help cause whats going in is coming straight out."

How will I know if this is happening?

When massive amounts of water start gushing out from underneath of your glovebox :grin:

oh, and Bucky, I love the fact that even in Acronym form, you said piece of "crap" and not piece of "$#it"

this shot is taken from the driver's side of the car - note the starter for reference.

My car has a 4" lift (the engine is dropped 4") which is why the hoses are at funny angles.. but it should help you!

img0003xs9.jpg

Re read the post that accompanied the picture. His car is lifted 4"... on your car and mine, there IS no 90* elbow, thats just where the lines come through the firewall. They normally go straight into the engine side of the lines in his picture. Now, look at the picture again, and look at the firewall and the hoses coming out.. ignore the elbow, just trace HIS lines down to the engine. Instead of an elbow, imagine lines going straight from the firewall to the engine. THAT is what you are looking for.