Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've tried some various mixtures; my favorite is about 1:1:1 acetone, xylene, toluene. You'll hear thoughts both for and against. I'm not sure I've noticed much difference with any of this acetone, xylene, toluene mixes.

edit: though these can be the good makings of a nice diy octane booster/cleaner. If you look at many non-chlorinated brake cleaners, they tend to have at least acetone xylene and toluene.

There are a couple other threads, like he said.

I've been using it on & off for about 6 months. There are times when I see a good bump, and other times when it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. But my driving is by no means consistent between tankfills.

The one thing I do notice is that the exhaust smells WAY different when I do tanks with acetone. The other thing that I can say is that when I did my complete re-seal in January, I couldn't find a lick of glazing in the motor (has 166K on it), but who knows if that was the acetone or not - it might have been nice & clean the whole time.

My acetone cost me $13 for the gallon, and it's lasted me more than 6 months so far, and I have a decent amount left. I haven't done the math to see if it's worth it. I've been stopped a couple times @ the gas station adding it with my funnel (I keep a shot-glass and a funnel in my side-rear cubby ...), and I get mixed reactions from the general public - everything from "wow, that's awesome!" to "You are insane, stay away from me" ...