Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My XT6 Amazed me!!

We are having ...basically...2 days of heavy heavy rain..and flooding has become an issue..Long story short..headed out to work..heard on the radio about roads closed everywhere..but deside to try it anyway..after many detours I get close to work...road has at least a foot maybe a foot and a half of water across it for about a 50 ft span..The only thing making it through are the big trucks and SUVs..the cars couldnt do it.So I do the not so smart thing...and go for it in Rocky ( my work parking lot is right on the other side of this mess.) I take it slow and he makes it through no problem. Get into the parking lot and deside this wasnt a good idea because we havent peaked at flood stage yet...and I may never be able to get back out...plus the parking lot is flooding and I dont want my car under water. So I head home...back through the flooded road I just came through (to a thumbs up from another Subaru owner who made it through)

Follow all the detours back and the road to my house..which was fine an hour before..was now covered and rushing. I see my Fiance Tommy ( who I had called and warned about the flooding) coming down in his Toyota Tacoma 4X4..he crosses and the water was almost touching his floor pans ..and as we all know Toys sit high. I think great..I dont know about this? I ask Rocky if he wanted to go for it ( yes I talk to him and Bucky all the time)...we both deside ..what the hey..I keep him in first and start creeping actross..water is coming in through the doors and bubbling through some of the other holes in the floor. This stretch seemed to be forever till we got out ( it was about 100 ft) but we made it. Bucky would have never gotten across either of those ..he is too light and FWD but Rocky went through like a champ.

+1 for my heavy 4WD XT6:banana:

We are having ...basically...2 days of heavy heavy rain..and flooding has become an issue..Long story short..headed out to work..heard on the radio about roads closed everywhere..but deside to try it anyway..after many detours I get close to work...road has at least a foot maybe a foot and a half of water across it for about a 50 ft span..The only thing making it through are the big trucks and SUVs..the cars couldnt do it.So I do the not so smart thing...and go for it in Rocky ( my work parking lot is right on the other side of this mess.) I take it slow and he makes it through no problem. Get into the parking lot and deside this wasnt a good idea because we havent peaked at flood stage yet...and I may never be able to get back out...plus the parking lot is flooding and I dont want my car under water. So I head home...back through the flooded road I just came through (to a thumbs up from another Subaru owner who made it through)

Follow all the detours back and the road to my house..which was fine an hour before..was now covered and rushing. I see my Fiance Tommy ( who I had called and warned about the flooding) coming down in his Toyota Tacoma 4X4..he crosses and the water was almost touching his floor pans ..and as we all know Toys sit high. I think great..I dont know about this? I ask Rocky if he wanted to go for it ( yes I talk to him and Bucky all the time)...we both deside ..what the hey..I keep him in first and start creeping actross..water is coming in through the doors and bubbling through some of the other holes in the floor. This stretch seemed to be forever till we got out ( it was about 100 ft) but we made it. Bucky would have never gotten across either of those ..he is too light and FWD but Rocky went through like a champ.

+1 for my heavy 4WD XT6:banana:

Please be careful, the pair of you....

I risked driving a CRX I had through a flood in the past. Luckily I got away with it but had to take out the seats and rip up the carpet to dry out the foot wells... The trapped water will cause mold and start rust.

Also, if water gets in your exhaust pipe you will stall and end up stranded.

Plus water could get into your engine oil...

Brake rotors could get warped....

I know I am going on a bit but the risks are just to high and I fear for you and old Rocky ... esp seing as you just got him up and running again...

Steve

I hear you Steve..I actually didnt want to but basically have very little choice to get home. Lucky for Rocky is he hasnt any carpet( waiting to go pull interior from a local parts car ) Planning on taking the blow dryer to him later ..if this rain stops...He has enough rust of him . Rocky has grown on me ALOT ..as much as Bucky has..I try my best to take care of them to the best of my ability...My fiance even says ..sometimes I send to much time and money one/with my cars;)

Please be careful, the pair of you....

I risked driving a CRX I had through a flood in the past. Luckily I got away with it but had to take out the seats and rip up the carpet to dry out the foot wells... The trapped water will cause mold and start rust.

Also, if water gets in your exhaust pipe you will stall and end up stranded.

Plus water could get into your engine oil...

Brake rotors could get warped....

I know I am going on a bit but the risks are just to high and I fear for you and old Rocky ... esp seing as you just got him up and running again...

Steve