Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I gather that this filter doesn't require routine replacement, but I changed the ATF a couple of times on the fiancee's '05 Legacy, and saw particles in the catch pan. She had been having some slow shifting, and we found out the dealer didn't change it as part of the 30,000 mile service. She says it's shifting much better now, but it seems silly to not change the spin-on filter. I have a cooler to install soon once I get the right fittings and I figured I would give it one more change then, but is there a compelling reason not to change the filter too?

I changed mine at 110K miles. The paint was starting to bubble off of it due to rust, and it looked like it might rust through soon. I noticed no difference in shifting or anything else afterward. I normally drain the pan and refill every 15,000 miles, never did a flush or dropped the pan.

-Ron

'99 Outback wagon

The spin-on filter may not "require" routine replacement, but if you don't change it, at least inspect it periodically. On my own '99 OB, the darn thing rusted through at relatively low miles; fortunately, I caught it before the leak became significant. It annoys me that Subaru markets cars for use in snow, but doesn't design certain parts to withstand salt.

if you saw particles come out of the trans fluid, i would replace the filter. but an 05 experiencing issues sounds odd. all the tires are matching and inflated properly?

i would research any TSB's avaiable for this model as well. an 05 shouldn't have shifting issues and get noticeably better after changing the fluid. my 1991 XT6 with the original auto trans didn't shift any better when i changed the fluid last summer and i wouldn't be surprised if the fluid was original and 105,000 miles old. that car has the first generation 4EAT that's in your '05.

if you saw particles come out of the trans fluid, i would replace the filter. but an 05 experiencing issues sounds odd. all the tires are matching and inflated properly?

i would research any TSB's avaiable for this model as well. an 05 shouldn't have shifting issues and get noticeably better after changing the fluid. my 1991 XT6 with the original auto trans didn't shift any better when i changed the fluid last summer and i wouldn't be surprised if the fluid was original and 105,000 miles old. that car has the first generation 4EAT that's in your '05.

Hi Gary, the tires are all equal, and they were replaced last fall. I was surprised that it made that much difference too, since I didn't really notice a difference. She drives it much more than I do and says it improved things. I wouldn't have thought the fluid would be in bad shape at 47,000 miles, but it did smell a little burnt. We do tow an 1800 lb camper, but only 3 times so far and not more than 100 miles total. How would I go about checking for TSBs?

Define particle. Some partciles (alot fo them actually) are normal wear and tear. This is how tranny shops scare people into new transmissions.

The fluid change at 30,000 miles is always a good thing to do. The reason why the filter doesnt get changed often is that the trany fluid is not exposed to the same stresses as engine oil.

Personally with a spin on filter, i would change it at every fluid change.

nipper

I think the first year would have been '99 since the external spin on filter on the case started on the phase II's (except the H6 where it's in the fender well I guess). But there was some TSB or whatever where they installed the external filters on certain years/models...don't recall the details?

I had a '98 Leagcy OB 2.5 that had the spin on tanny filter. Also had pin holes in the filter. Expensive tranny. I took a chance and purchased the car and it ended up being a rusted filter was the problem after lots and lots of looking. Sometimes you luck out.

I have sense sold the car so I don't know what the build date was - but it was a '98 model year on the title.

Dave