Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire suggestions

I'm also running 185/80/13s, but mine are Kumho Touring 795 AT, Very happy with them, and they are cheap too. 70,000-mile tires. Website is http://www.kumhousa.com, which also has a dealer locator.

My car is a 91 Loyale wagon with 3" lift. These tires don't really fill up the wheel well, but on 13" aluminum wheel each tire/wheel combo is 20 pounds lighter than the BFG Wildernesses I had before on steel wheels. On a non-lifted car, I don't think you would have clearance problems with these tires.

On a non-lifted car, I don't think you would have clearance problems with these tires.

No clearance problems at all. They're really only 1.5" larger in diameter. They'll fit just fine.

Tirerack looks to have a good deal on those Kumhos. They're great tires.

We've had incredibly good luck with Discount tire. And they sell an extremely basic All-season tire called the "Warrior" (not sure who makes it....) that I run on my loyale and my dad has on his '94 legacy aswell.

I love them. Very quiet, and if you spring the extra $30 to get them siped (I'd highly recommend it), you'll have amazing snow traction and treadlife.

the first week that I had them (on my old '85 carbed GL wagon), a buddy and I took them to a snowy and empty parking lot, and the tires gripped so well, that I could not drift. the motor (wasn't running in tip-top condition then...) simply couldn't overpower the tires.

here they are:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresByBrand.do?rcz=55359&mk=SUBARU&rc=MNMINT&yr=1992&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance&vid=005832&mf=Warrior

in my experience, you can't beat the bang-for-the-buck quality of these. not to mention the awesome customer service at discount tire.

I'm also running 185/80/13s, but mine are Kumho Touring 795 AT, Very happy with them, and they are cheap too. 70,000-mile tires. Website is www.kumhousa.com, which also has a dealer locator.

My car is a 91 Loyale wagon with 3" lift. These tires don't really fill up the wheel well, but on 13" aluminum wheel each tire/wheel combo is 20 pounds lighter than the BFG Wildernesses I had before on steel wheels. On a non-lifted car, I don't think you would have clearance problems with these tires.

another vote for the kumho 795's. i use them year round.

The P.O. of a non-soob of mine put on a set of new Kumho PowerStar 758. Based on my experience, I will never buy Kumho's. To start, after 5,000 miles (no curb rash, nice highway driving) there was a braided steel wire sticking out of the sidewall (again, NO curb rash). I'd browse the used tire racks first. My $0.02.

$30 bucks to get all 4 siped? I need to find a place like that.

yep, just last summer got those exact same tires, siped, warrantied, mounted, balanced, and on the car for about $200. I believe $32 per tire, $7 each for the extra warranty, $30 for the siping on all 4, plus tax.

AND, 2 months later, my dad backed over the trailer hitch :rolleyes: and tore an enormous hole in the sidewall of one of them. He took it in, and they replaced it on the spot. He just paid the $7 to renew the warranty on it.

I'll never buy tires anywhere else. Discount tire is amazing.....and now MNSubaru gets 20% off there! :banana:

Michelin XCX/APT is the greatest tire ever. I want to get a set of 15" pugs so I can get a set. They are a light truck SUV tire and they last forever. I have seen Jeep Cherokees with 80,000+ miles on those tires and still have 6/32 on them. They would last forever on my GL. They are expensive, but very,very worth it.

I bougt a set of two tires yesterday at the yard mainly for the rims but the tires were in good shape they are 175/70 and my other set is 185/70. I am wondering what difference that really makes except lowering my front end a little and bad if I engage 4wd on any sort of hard road.

Also it seems that the car is pulling to the right now more than it did. can tires do this? what is that all about?

thanks

nate

I bougt a set of two tires yesterday at the yard mainly for the rims but the tires were in good shape they are 175/70 and my other set is 185/70. I am wondering what difference that really makes except lowering my front end a little and bad if I engage 4wd on any sort of hard road.

Also it seems that the car is pulling to the right now more than it did. can tires do this? what is that all about?

thanks

nate

Keep one size matched on front, and one on back,

Not using 4wd with mismatched tires is a subject I know zero about, but i THINK you shouldnt use it at ALL with different sizes front and back.. but like I said, all my knowledge is hearsay (or "read-type," if you will.. AKA "internet parroting")

And yes, tires themselves can make the car pull. Make sure they are all properly inflated; again, you can have a different pressure front vs. rear but match your right to your left on each axle. Mismatched pressures on either side will most ASSUREDLY cause the car to pull to one side.