Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so that's where all my oil was going

i think it's because i had a bad headgasket! you can actually see INTO the engine. but i think there was only an empty cavity there. but still... wow. passenger side head to the left... block to the right. there's NO headgasket there.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/SMASHmySOOByDONTya/DSC_0186.jpg

i drove it to atlanta like that. that must be one degraded headgasket.

i think it's because i had a bad headgasket! you can actually see INTO the engine. but i think there was only an empty cavity there. but still... wow. passenger side head to the left... block to the right. there's NO headgasket there.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/SMASHmySOOByDONTya/DSC_0186.jpg

i drove it to atlanta like that. that must be one degraded headgasket.

I can't tell what I'm seeing excactly there. But you know there are some cavitys around the exhaust that are visible to look into. That is normal. But I have seen many a soob have external HG leaks.

yeah, you can see into a cavity, but it's like that up the front of the engine too and the oil is absolutely CAKED on. i couldn't fit the camera there to take a pic though.. i'm assuming that's where it was actually leaking oil through the headgasket. but i just can't figure out why that part of gasket is just GONE. I guess that just happens sometimes? the fel-pros aren't designed like that, and the driver side head obviously has a gasket there. so it musta just fallen out as one big chunk. and i'll make it a bit clearer what we're seeing here... the exhaust manifold is just to the left... and the round thing to the right is a... coolant plug I think? that's on the block. just to the left of the crack is the passenger side head. pic was taken head-on. oh yeah, my dad's working in Wisconcin right now. he likes it there. he MIGHT be going to Washington straight from Wisconcin to work. man he's lucky, gets to see so many soobs :rolleyes:

These pictures show the Headgasket, head surface, and Block surface. Circled the area in blue where the gasket leaves a *gap* once it is bolted between head and case. Red line is the edge of the gaskt in the one photo, it was hard to see in the blurry photo. I think this is what you are seeing on your car. If you've got oil down the front of the head and block, you're camshaft seals are probably leaking behind the timing covers.

post-21475-136027622334_thumb.jpg

post-21475-136027622326_thumb.jpg