Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Turbo?

Just remember a EA82t won't just bolt in and run. You will need the loom and ECU from the EA82t car and you will maybe need to trim it up a little and also fit the turbo exhaust system.

Like a lot ofpeople say, it is easier to buy a turbo subaru then to turbo a subaru. But some of us don'tt mind hard. Just a little info you might not of known.

If your going to do a motor swap why not get an EJ22? They are far more reliable as people on here will tell you all the time. The EA82T was a fine motor for its time but they blow headgaskets and anytime you start modding them your asking for trouble. There are a few people on here running modded EA82T motors but most will tell you its not worth the effort or the money to get one. I kno someone actually blew a baseball sized hole in an EA82T on this board by running too much boost if i recall correctly.

To be honest, I don't know a ton about cars. I just know I want/need a new engine for my Loyale. Is it THAT HARD to take out my current EA82 and put in a EA82T?

My dad and I will be doing it, if I do get an EA82T. My dad knows a lot more then I do, :-D

:clap:

To be honest, I don't know a ton about cars. I just know I want/need a new engine for my Loyale. Is it THAT HARD to take out my current EA82 and put in a EA82T?

My dad and I will be doing it, if I do get an EA82T. My dad knows a lot more then I do, :-D

:clap:

yes it is actually going to be a big PITA to do this swap. The front crossmember will also need to be swapped since its notched for the downpipe coming form the turbo (maybe its the uppipe but I can't remember). Also, you'll need the wiring harness and ECU as described, a set of FSM to help get you by, and a lot of patience. It would be a cool swap don't get me wrong but the EA82T doesn't have very much potential to be built unless you have a lot of $$$, time, and fabrication skills. Besides, its only 25hp more then your stock engine has so what would be the point? The EJ swap is about as hard, maybe less, wil cost about the same, and has more potential and more horses stock then the EA82T.

If you got a MPFI car, it's not that hard - if you have all necessary things: engine, crossmember (or you have to mod it by yourself), first part of the exhaust (manifold? don't know the right translation) and the ECU.

The wiring harness is identical (Hmm, maybe you need a wire from the Turbo and knock sensor to the ECU, but that wouldn't be too hard. And you would need that Turbo ECU. But maybe, it would also be running fine the MPFI ECU (the other way round is fine - mostly). Anyway, you should know what you are doing and you should have some experiences in working on cars.

But, as written before, the EJ22 swap (Legacy engine) would be about the same work and it's definitely better than. So because you will need all parts, I would go for the EJ22.

your best bet would be to buy a turbo wagon that was rear-ended so you could take all the parts and swap them to your car...

but really, the EA82 is a lot more reliable than the EA82T... and if you really want to do a lot of work on your car then just get an EJ22 (and all associated parts) from a legacy or early impreza and use that...

if you really, really want the turbo it'd probably be better to just stick a regular EA82 in your car, sell it, then buy a stock turbo wagon...

--Spiffy

I have 1991 Subaru Loyale Wagon Manual 5Spd Push Button 4WD.

I am looking to replace my engine with an EA82 Turbo. Know any place to get one?

First, what makes you believe you need a new engine. The Rgular EA82 in your loyale is fairly new, for these motors, and the SPFI set-up is by far the most reliable and fuel efficient for these cars. Tear it down, put a new set of bearings and rings in it, new seals, and drive it for a 150,000 more miles. You won't notice a huge difference in power going to the Turbo, and it will be alot of work. If you are down for it then do it, but a swap of anykind is going to be more time and money than just rebuilding you're engine. Or even just dropping in an already rebuilt longblock from RAM or CCR.