Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was looking at another thread and followed a link to endwrench.com where they had an article about when to change your timing belt.It stated that 2.2l engines were to be done every 60k and 2.5l engines done every 105k with the exception of california 2.2l which were to be done every 105k. Now why the difference for cali cars? And what emissions related differences are there? I ask because on the bottom of my hood I have a sticker that says the car meets California emissions. A friend i was talking to said its not likely that i have a cali car because it would fail our local (Mass State) emissions test. My first thought was if they require lower emissions in Ca, I should pass ours with flying colors right? Now the real reason for the post. I have about 135k on the car right now. I purchased it with just under 89k.If the normal 2.2 service schedual was followed I should be 15k overdue, however, IF the car was to follow the ca seviceing schedual i'm about 30k overdue! and i should get to it in a hurry. I should mention I have no maintanence records prior to my buying it other than a sticker on the strut tower saying a 90k service was done at 88k and some change. What do people think?

I was looking at another thread and followed a link to endwrench.com where they had an article about when to change your timing belt.It stated that 2.2l engines were to be done every 60k and 2.5l engines done every 105k with the exception of california 2.2l which were to be done every 105k. Now why the difference for cali cars? And what emissions related differences are there? I ask because on the bottom of my hood I have a sticker that says the car meets California emissions. A friend i was talking to said its not likely that i have a cali car because it would fail our local (Mass State) emissions test. My first thought was if they require lower emissions in Ca, I should pass ours with flying colors right? Now the real reason for the post. I have about 135k on the car right now. I purchased it with just under 89k.If the normal 2.2 service schedual was followed I should be 15k overdue, however, IF the car was to follow the ca seviceing schedual i'm about 30k overdue! and i should get to it in a hurry. I should mention I have no maintanence records prior to my buying it other than a sticker on the strut tower saying a 90k service was done at 88k and some change. What do people think?

Either way you are over due.

California has stricter emissions. Many states have adopted CA emissions (including mine NY). So there are no longer 49 state cars, now its like 43 state cars. Subaru probably being a smaller mfg, decided to meet the strictest emission standards, since all the cars are made at the same factory.

Always assume the worst as far as maint when you buy a used car.

On the 60,000 mils cycle you werer due for a seoncd one at 120,000. On the 106 you were due then. Either way your due for a timing belt.

You dont say what year the engine is.

nipper

You dont say what year the engine is.

nipper

by the thing in the corner he has a 98 legacy

but he is right, do it and do it now. either way you are well over due and your 98 was an interference motor. So it's not like the good old ej22s where it was just an inconvenience if it broke, you have a chance of doing damage to your motor if it snaps.

by the thing in the corner he has a 98 legacy

but he is right, do it and do it now. either way you are well over due and your 98 was an interference motor. So it's not like the good old ej22s where it was just an inconvenience if it broke, you have a chance of doing damage to your motor if it snaps.

i cant always see the thingy in the corner when i write a response :-\

Thats why i was asking too.

Dont forget the water pump seals and idler tensioner..

nipper

yes it is mellow65. I grabbed the belt but havent gotten idlers or anything. not sure if they're needed but everyone seems to say replace it all at once while you're in there. I definitely need to replace the oil seals but ive talked about my oil loss problems before. I know from what Ive read I should have no problems doing the work, but some days I regret trading in my 88 mercury cougar.it was so much easir to work on.

yes it is mellow65. I grabbed the belt but havent gotten idlers or anything. not sure if they're needed but everyone seems to say replace it all at once while you're in there. I definitely need to replace the oil seals but ive talked about my oil loss problems before. I know from what Ive read I should have no problems doing the work, but some days I regret trading in my 88 mercury cougar.it was so much easir to work on.

i would replace the idlers too. it seems as time goes on they get louder and louder, but it not anything you really notice because it's over a long time. But when you replace them, it's like, OMG was my motor this quite at one time.

You may look into the water pump too. It's like a honda, you are already in there might as well do one.

but some days I regret trading in my 88 mercury cougar.it was so much easir to work on.

shame on you, you take that back:grin:

the sprocketed timing gear is typically the noisiest one, so at least check that one and plan on replacing it. i replace nearly every one i come across.

mercury cougar? easier to work on but you'd be doing it much more often so that doesn't count!

The 60k vs 105k for california spec may have had to do with (so I've heard) California's law that no emissions related service can be required for the first 100,000 miles. Originally the 105k timing belts were probably kevlar aramid or something similar to give longer life. They do have different part numbers but prices are very close so if the calif belt would work on the non calif model, which it seems like it would, that might be the way to go.

so if the calif belt would work on the non calif model, which it seems like it would, that might be the way to go.

when did the ej22 adopt the 105k interval? i thought sometime in the late 90's. or was that change made after '00 when they stopped making the 60k belt?

does the owners manual for the 98 leg 2.2 say timing belt at 60k?

On my 1995 2.2l Impreza with "50 states" emission compliance, the original belt had a non-California part number, from which I conclude that for some time now, California and non-California belts have been exactly the same, even though the part numbers remained different. The maintenance schedule does show a longer replacement interval for California.

Hm...could be, let's see.

13028AA102 Legacy 1995-1998 TIMING BELT FOR 1995-1998 LEGACY 2.2 NON-CALIF SPECS

13028AA150 Legacy 1995-1998 TIMING BELT FOR 1995-1998 LEGACY 2.2 WITH CALIF SPECS

In the part numbers, the only difference are the ninth and tenth digits. According to the Genuine Subaru Parts Numbering System, the A10 and A15 identify specific characteristics of parts with the same part description code and designated sequences from A00. The specific code is assigned by the Fuji Engineering Division for internal use only.

The 10th digit is identifies an engineering change to the part. For example: 0 = original, 1 = 1st modification, 2 = 2nd modification, 3 = 3rd modification