Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another auto-manual swap thread...

I have a 2WD, 3AT '86 GL 3-door. EA82.

I want a manual transmission, as I'm losing gear oil with no clue where it's going, and I just hate the 3AT regardless. I'd LOVE to get more than 25 MPG :)

I searched, and didnt exactly find anything on 2wd to 2wd swaps... I dont think I'd have to swap axles... But... I'm asking what I'll need, because I'd have to get it done within 2 days, and I dont want to have any "duh" or "d'oh" moments :lol:

Heres a write up I did when i converted from 3AT to 5 speed in my EA81.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69534

Most aspects are the same for you but some are slightly different. If i recall correctly you will not need to swap radius rod plates like i did (plates that allow the tranny crossmember to bolt to the bottom of the car). Not sure how exactly the wiring will work on an EA82 as to whether or not what i have in my writeup is the same. I really dont see why it wouldnt be but someone else will chim in on that. Hope this gives you an idea of what your facing. It really wasnt all that bad and its makes a HUGE difference in performance. I went from about 25 mpg on the highway to just above 30. Good luck.

For me it wasnt too bad. Everything from the JY (tranny, pedals, clutch cable etc..) cost about 125 dollars. The new clutch kit cost 140 from subaru. A flywheel resurfacing cost 75. So all in all i ended up spending 340 bucks. Sure i could have skimped here and there but i figured while i was in there i might as well go all out. No sense in putting a new (old) tranny in with a clutch that was on its way out.

• 2 months later...

Alright, after a couple months of slacking and letting the 3AT kill itself slowly, I'm going to follow through and get this car swapped to a five speed. Problem is, theres nothing on front wheel drive swaps for EA82's...

What all do I need, to do the swap from FWD 3AT to FWD 5MT on the EA82?

Parts list:

-Manual tranny (duh)

-manual pedal assemble

-clutch cable

-speedo cable (the manual ones is longer than the autos)

-flywheel

-8 bolts that hold the flywheel to the engine (they are longer than the ones used to hold the flexplate to the engine)

-clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing

-manual tranny crossmember along with tranny mounts

-rubber mount that secures to the tranny tunnel behind the shifter.

There. Basically everything that's in hatchsub's write up, minus the radius rod plates.

Gotcha.

Hmmm... I heard something about the crossmember not having to be swapped... I'm gonna go look again

I would be willing to bet you need a new crossmember as well. The auto is a much heavier tranny then the manual and needed to be braced near the back instead of the towards the center like on the manual.

i would get two new clutch retaining clips as well. the old ones are usually rusty and brittle by now and the cost is tiny. you'll probably want a center console from a manual so it looks right. if the brake light switch isn't on the pedal assembly, grab that too. transmission mounts are different from auto to manual on XT's, but that should come with the trans.

I would be willing to bet you need a new crossmember as well. The auto is a much heavier tranny then the manual and needed to be braced near the back instead of the towards the center like on the manual.

The ea82 uses a different mounting setup either way. Best way to tell if you need the crossmember is to physically look at them.

I am assisting him with this swap and one thing I have to add is that we are using a EA81 FWD tranny.

Are there any issues here that would be different than using a EA82.

So it's basically a EA81 FWD 5 spd going into an EA82 chassis.

BW

I am assisting him with this swap and one thing I have to add is that we are using a EA81 FWD tranny.

Are there any issues here that would be different than using a EA82.

So it's basically a EA81 FWD 5 spd going into an EA82 chassis.

BW

I'd say try to get a EA82 shifter assembly, because the EA81 shift linkage won't bolt up correctly I think

I'd say try to get a EA82 shifter assembly, because the EA81 shift linkage won't bolt up correctly I think

Ea81 and ea82 shift assemblies don't interchange. The worst you'll have to do to address this issue is drill a hole in the floor and bolt the back of the stabilizer to it.

I have gradually browbeat him into abandoning the auto-tragic box in his car, and I thank you and salute you from the other side of the country for helping him with the actual work. :banana: