Ultimate Subaru Message Board

manual transaxle shaft

the shaft coming out of front of the transmission that the throwout bearing slips over seems to be leaking gear oil quite profusely. is there a seal there? and is it easy to replace? thought it was just my axle shafts at first... but when i pulled the engine i realized that's where it was coming from. thanks a bunch.

-Jordan

Yep, you have to open it up to get to it.

I had the same problem, and after looking through my manuals decided it was way too much work and just replaced the whole tranny

At least for me, disassembling/reassembling transmissions is not what I would call an easy job.

Ya there is a seal there.I am not certain off the top of my head as to its name but I think it is called the pilot shaft seal.I am pretty sure you have to split the tranny slightly to get that one out of there.

Isn't there some seal-rejuvenator stuff made for manual transmissions that you could add to the trans oil to at least get it to leak slower?

Clean it up as much as possible and then put lots of RTV silicone around the place... Or is it leaking between the shaft and plate?

For an average joe, it's worth getting another box instead of spliting the case, even slightly, as you'll have a heck of ajob getting it to seal again.