Ultimate Subaru Message Board

? for anyone with a 2006 Outback 2.5l

Does your Outback have a "plastic underdoor" as someone in this forum described it. It's a plastic cover (or made of various pieces?) that covers the oil filter and other parts under the engine. It's also shown in the change oil section of the owner's manual since there is a door you have to open to get to the filter. I'm told that Outbacks up to 2005 had them, but my 2006 doesn't.

I guess some Outbacks don't come with the underdoor. I looked for the part number (56410AG15A), and it comes up but says "UNDER COVER FRONT FULL FOR 2006-2007 LEGACY OUTBACKS (2.5 MOTOR ONLY) (if the vehicle did not come with the full cover to begin with, this part is not an add-on)".

Does your Outback have a "plastic underdoor" as someone in this forum described it. It's a plastic cover (or made of various pieces?) that covers the oil filter and other parts under the engine. It's also shown in the change oil section of the owner's manual since there is a door you have to open to get to the filter. I'm told that Outbacks up to 2005 had them, but my 2006 doesn't.

Hi! I had to replace mine recently on a 06 impreza wagon. I was told that it was partially missing by the dealer. The year before it was driven in some heavy snow.

Anyhow I was told that some people leave it off, but I replaced it. It covers the front 1/4 -1/3 of the underside of the engine and is held in place by plastic rivets.

Cost me $120 CAN at the dealer and because it was under warranty no charge for labor.

I think it serves to act as a shroud and there by serves to keep air from bypassing the radiator when your idling or stuck in traffic.

I assume that it is sacrificial if you get to close to your under side it lets you know.

It might make the under side more aerodynamic I think that the car blew around less.

Finally it probably keeps the salt and dirt out which is especially prevalent in the winter.