Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All! Just got a 99 Outback 2.5 with 95k on it. When shifting into Drive it seems that it takes longer than usual for the tranny to engage into gear. Did a fluid flush and still hasn't done the trick.

Also, from time to time the speedomter does not work.Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

This seems to be a very common problem on the 99's, as it keeps coming up alot.

I am going to change my tune on this a little bit. It is a sign that something is going intenally, either the front pump is worn or the internal seals are worn. Usually its a sign of impennding doom, and the only fix is a overhaul or replacement.

I have done some research on this (and yes 99's seem the majority year with this problem). See if you can live with it. I have read about people who have had this problem for many many many miles and it hasnt ogtten worse. As long as the delay is from r-n-d and not d-3-2-1 or staring off from a stop sign.

The only true way to determin what is going on This would tell you the condition of the front pump and the internals, but a REPUTABLE (read non chain transmission ) shop has to do it.is to throw pressure gauges on the transmission and road test it.

nipper

• 3 weeks later...

i emailed a guy with an old post about this same problem and he wrote me bac last night. he said he had the fluid flushed once before. after the problem started he read up about it and decided to flush it again. so he flushed it, pulled the lines to pump some additional fluid out and then added new fluid and Lucas oil treatment as well. that was over a year ago and he said it's been fine since. i'll try changing the fluid once or twice on my friends car and see how it goes.