Ultimate Subaru Message Board

An idea I just thought of...

Would it be possible to wire a light to the ECU (the original code-reading light) and maybe stick said wire and light in an empty slot at the idiot light area?

Then you wouldnt have to STOP and look under the dash for codes... just look right there, and there it is :grin:

Think its doable with a little soldering iron, a small bulb, and some thin-gauge wire?

Would it be possible to wire a light to the ECU (the original code-reading light) and maybe stick said wire and light in an empty slot at the idiot light area?

Then you wouldnt have to STOP and look under the dash for codes... just look right there, and there it is :grin:

Think its doable with a little soldering iron, a small bulb, and some thin-gauge wire?

theoretically, yes. i think all it would involve is opening the ECU and soldering in a length of wire between the ECU and light. i'd suggest trying it on a junkyard box first though, or have a back up ECU available.

There are big "check engine" connectors hanging off the ECU, that no one seems to use. Does the CEL come out to one of the pins one one of these connectors? It would make the soldering easier, and safer for the ECU.

If you tapped right into the O2 monitor lamp, it would work, but you'd get a blinky light while driving. The O2 monitor is named just that for a reason, it comes on when the O2 sensor sees a rich condition, and turns off on a lean condition. It'd get kinda annoying with all the crosshatching it does at cruise.