Ultimate Subaru Message Board

different size spark plugs?

i was removing the spark plugs from the motor that's going in my ea82 sedan, and realized that the 2 on the passenger side head are autozone plugs and the 2 on the driver side are bosch plugs. BUT... the autozone plugs are quite a bit smaller and therefore, can't be removed with the spark plug socket of the correct Subaru spark plug size. both heads are off the same motor.

so what's the deal here? did the passenger side strip at one point and had to be tapped? do spark plugs come in different sizes?

thanks to all.

-Jordan

The threads are probably still the same size. I think the standard NGKs and most others for that application are a 13/16" socket size, and the cheap ones you found are probably a 5/8". They may or may not be the correct plugs for the car, as I've never seen EA plugs that used the smaller socket size but you never know, but having mismatched ones is not cool anyway.

i was removing the spark plugs from the motor that's going in my ea82 sedan, and realized that the 2 on the passenger side head are autozone plugs and the 2 on the driver side are bosch plugs.

Suggest you go buy the correct OEM plugs, i.e. NGK. Can't go wrong there. Like Snowman said, not cool to have this setup.

yep, got some ngk's on standby for when the motor goes back in. i think the guy whose garage the motor was sitting in found a couple plugs that fit and just stuck them in there to keep crap out. after this... i plan on having many trouble free miles ahead of me. complete reseal including headgaskets, new water pump, swapping out tranny (leaking at the pilot shaft? i think that's what it's called), new axle, new rear bearings, new rad, belts, hoses, and... i think that's about it.