Ultimate Subaru Message Board

aligning the clutch?

the clutch kit i bought from napa has some instructions with it and they say to put the mark on the pressure plate 180 degrees from the "0" on the flywheel. for the life of me, i don't see either one. I guess it would be for balance. has anybody ever worried about that when installing a clutch? this is an '89 ea82 with a freshly resurfaced flywheel. thanks all.

the clutch kit i bought from napa has some instructions with it and they say to put the mark on the pressure plate 180 degrees from the "0" on the flywheel. for the life of me, i don't see either one. I guess it would be for balance. has anybody ever worried about that when installing a clutch? this is an '89 ea82 with a freshly resurfaced flywheel. thanks all.

0 on the flywheel will be on the outer edge. I've never noticed any marks on the pressure plate though. I don't think you will have any problems if you don't find the mystery mark. Just tighten down the plate evenly and make sure you've got it properly on the dowel pins before tightening.

alright, i won't worry about it then. i just remember hearing about somebody on here who just did a clutch job, and had a constant vibration that was affected by engine speed and couldn't figure it out... and it turned out that it was his pressure plate mark not being at least 120 deg. off, but i think newer pressure plates come out of the factory balanced.

I think you're right not to worry about it, but I've got my engine out right now and one of the things I'm doing is putting in new clutch parts, so I can see exactly what you're talking about.

The 0 on the flywheel - at least on mine - is on the side, very close to the teeth, and about opposite the three timing lines. The one on the pressure plate is in a very similary spot, stamped into the metal.