Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We have a 1990 Legacy with transaxle problems which began by shift shock. We immediately had transmission oil and filter replaced and noted that transmission fluid was dark as fluid was changed. Then is when the motor started reving at shifts and would rev at around 60 - 65 mph mostly. If you become aggressive engine will rev in any gear. In our Haynes service manual it notes when this occurs mostly its because band may require adjusting and advises not to exceed 3/4 turn tightening but to adjust in small increments and test. But fails to tell method of tightening in - or - out of the adjusting screw. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

jowens

Im confused. First off what is shift lock. Secondly how many miles.

I hate to say it but those two questions may be moot as you need a tranny. The clutches are slipping. That band adsjustment is for 2nd gear and pretty much really is useless for an after the fatc thing. Once an auro starts slipping the damage is done.

nipper

Here's an article from endwrench: 4EAT FWD and AWD Brake Band Adjustment. It doesn't give the procedure but it does give some tips on how to get the adjusting mechanism as it is a little tricky. I think I saw if you turn it too much all at once it could make the band slip off the drum or something.

But yes, AT slipping is very bad and will shred the clutches pretty fast.

Since you say the slipping started after the service, where did you have the ATF replaced? What brand and type of fluid was used? Is the fluid level correct?