Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help? My coupe has an issue...

Hey, 91loyale.. please try to focus on this part at least as much as the rest of his post...

Just tryin to do my part to keep the tempers from flaring :)

When I read Gloyal's post I was like:Flame: and ready to:dead:

WHen I read this post I was like :lol: and:clap:

Thank you for saving me from myself. Seriously.

Aside from the ageist coments of "18 year old thinks he knows everything", I am going to assume that Gloyale has not read my post thouroughly and is geting huffy over an assumption.

My quick check is to pour some gas down the throttle body after removing the rubber intake boot. This means pouring gas straight down next to the injector onto the throttle plate, which is EXACTLY the spot the injector sprays. As for it being a danger of backfiring and blowing it all to hell, the exact same volume of air and fuel is present when you do this as is all the time the engine is running. It's the "wet manifold" concept, which is the same between carbs and SPFI's. And if you think I'm wrong, unplug the MAF (yes SPFI's will keep running without it hooked up), and pull off the rubber intake boot. You will see the injector spraying away and a steady film of liquid gas flowing over the throttle plate.

I'm trying to help russ here, who has already stated he doesn't have time to figure it out and deal with it. So if it's kept simple and easy, there's more of a chance of him fixing it himself. Throwing parts at a problem is easy, and not much skill is involved, which is why there is no glory in it. I would assume that russ has acess to a lot of spare parts, so...

Russ, now that you have the gauge hooked up, what does the pressure go up to if you clamp the return line off? That's the true pump output pressure. What you're watching is the regulated pressure. The regulator is in the throttle body.

Service pulled it in this morning and the tech working on it ran a few tests after I explained to him the symptoms it was having. He came back an hour later and told me he figured out it was my fuel pump was on its way out. Would run for awhile, then internally, would start to heat up due to massively worn parts (had it torn apart and showed me!). Ordered a new pump and will be here tomorrow morning. I have a used one I could put in it but the car has 256k miles on it and I'm getting ready to drive a good distance in a few days so I wanted to go new instead of used.

Flame away on me for having a GM shop fix it for me but my stress level is through the roof right now. I move in a few days, my car is having issues and yesterday, I find out, someone figured out my debit card information and stole $200 from me on online garbage. I'm getting the money back but I'm too stressed to think about fixing my car ATM...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Its still screwed up!?!?!?! The put a new fuel pump in it and told me it fixed the problem. So I drive it home from work today and park it in the driveway. I go to move it so my sister can get her car out and the pile won't start. I'm taking it back up there right now and telling them to fix it tonight or at least figure out what it is... I'm so pissed right now...:mad:

I have checked a few things while being pissed off. FPR checks out with the vacuum gauge, fuel filter passes the blow through test with flying colors, fuel pump is good since its new and yes, I hear it run, so what about the injector? Could this be bad? I have a complete intake and TB sitting in the garage with all the sensors and such. I'm going to take it up with me and tell them if they need anymore parts from it, that this is what they get. Strainer is also clean and was fairly clean when it was removed.

You have the parts, now toss them at it!

See where geting professional diagnostics gets you? How much did that pump cost? Though you could consider it a preventative maintenence thing.

The spfi shouldn't have a vacuum controled pressure regulator....

I'd try the injector for the heatsoak reason I said in one of my other posts.

After that, the computer.

well I feel dumb. I went out to check my injector, pulled the connector out from under the intake and it popped apart. Stupid thing wasn't connected all the way. I plugged it in and voila, no more problems.

Now I'm gonna go sit and feel stupid:banana:

But I am glad I have a new pump. The old one was lookin pretty bad. So no pump problem on my 18+ hour drive home

Awesome. Go out and drive it some and see how it does. It'll make you feel better.

Oh I have. I feel oh so much better. Now I gotta put in a new axle on one side, finish instaling my swaybars and a couple other little items and I'll be ready to hit the road

Oh and a temp tag for it so its legal:rolleyes:

so I seem to have another issue but its not really bothering me too much. The volt gauge reads 8 volts on the one inside the car. I swapped alts just in case and it didn't move. I think the volt gauge isn't working right because no lights come on and it doesn't have any other problems. I'm gonna go check my voltage with my DVOM just to be sure but it doesn't seem to have any issues, even with my stereo up...