Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi nipper, actually a few days ago I ordered a set from that seller for my '00obw. I didn't receive any kind of acknowledgement of payment or a tracking number or anything....but I figured with kind of positive recent feedback maybe that's how they keep costs down.

Hi nipper, actually a few days ago I ordered a set from that seller for my '00obw. I didn't receive any kind of acknowledgement of payment or a tracking number or anything....but I figured with kind of positive recent feedback maybe that's how they keep costs down.

Well let me know how long it takes, what kind of condition etc.

I dont look at the good reviews, i look at the bad to see how they were handled etc, thats what's important. Everyone screws up once in a while, but does he solve the problem or tell people to take a hike.

nipper

Good point. I saw one bad that said 'beware fake product' but who knows what was up with that. I mean these do seem to be good prices, but I'm guessing this guy sells a lot of KYB's and by doing it in sets of four it is like a quantity discount over buying individually. Some other negs seemed to be didn't receive in expected amount of time or something.

Anyway yes I will post back when I get them. I paid for them on 30-Apr-07. Ok hasn't even been a week yet...seems like a lot longer! But I have to receive the scorpion springs from renick too before I can put this all together.

Since we're on the eBay topic....Last year I ordered four KYB's for my '96 from performancepeddler on eBay. I received one wrong strut, like one number off, which turned out to be for a Chrysler Sebring. I didn't realize I had a wrong one until like 4 months later when I went to use them. At first performancepeddler (call center in India) told me after 30 days no deal. Then they said they'd take it back but 20% restock charge or something. But when I sent it in they refunded me the full amount for that strut.

Also I ordered a Subaru rally jacket from Israel, guy had lots of good feedback, but of course that sort of deal is suspect fake product. Anyway I haven't received anything yet and now it says the person is no longer a registered user. I've had good results though on a couple other items I never received with paypal giving me back the money.

that guy is an a**hole...i ordered 4 agx's from him, one came damaged...there was no way of getting a hold of him..i contacted some other ppl who have done business with him and they told me how he screwed them, so i decided to hit him where it hurts

i wrote a letter to ebay and filed a dispute with paypal, basically did everything i could to make him look bad...he ended up sending me a new strut

i have his phone number if u want it, but it never did me anygood b/c he wouldnt answer it and there was no memory left on his voicemail

-sean

EDIT: if i was you i would check out tirerack instead, sometimes they have good deals on the KYB's...if you buy them off of jdmwerks, kyb wont honor any kind of warranty (e-mailed them)...i highly suggest not purchasing from him

Ah...well. I guess I'll have to see what happens when/if I get them. I wonder why kyb says they won't honor the warranty? I have to admit the price was good, and I wanted a set of four, and the feedback looked good....so I struck. I have had excellent results with tirerack too, they have their game together. Didn't check these struts&shocks, but on my '96 they were out of stock for a while on the rears I think it was as was summitracing (excellent service also) so I looked elsewhere...

yea dont get me wrong, the price is great and i did get the struts...but to have to deal with all the B/S again and not have a warranty after all...i should ahve gone with tirerack

at the time they were only 100 bucks more from tirerack, but i decided to cheap out

I bought my KYB GR-2s from TireRack. $304 for the set of 4, plus shipping. Not sure what the shipping would be for the struts alone, because I bought 4 tires on the same invoice ($68 total shipping for the tires and struts).

So Nipper's price of $330 including shipping sounds good.

TireRack is good people, never an issue with them. And I get my stuff the next day if it's in stock in their Delaware warehouse.

Is swapping the struts a big deal? Any special tools?

Coil springs can bite really really hard if your not careful. You just need a spring compressor otherwise its striaght forward. i have to pay my shop to do it though :( this back thing is a ***************.

nipper

hrmm how did ***** turn into **************.

Is swapping the struts a big deal? Any special tools?

You need a spring compressor. $50 or borrow from AutoZone or similar.

Also, wrenches for the top nuts that can fit the nut while a using a hex key on the shaft (take a look, you'll see what I'm talking about). Deep offset box wrenches work, if you can find some that are deep enough (the ones at Sears aren't). I fabricated suitable wrenches by welding sockets to 1in. by 1/4in. steel bar. Some folks use an impact wrench, that works if you have one (I have one, but don't use it for tightening fasteners).

Here's the spring compressor I've been using. Got it for about $30 at Harbor Freight. It's pretty heavy though it is a little tricky to get the jaws over the springs. For the nut securing the strut to the mount, I've been using a spark plug socket that has a hex top for a wrench on it. Then I can fit a allen key down through the open top of the socket. I tried gearwrench but they were all 12pt sockets I think which I didn't want to use.

96lstrut1.jpg

Mother of God, that looks like something from Saw II. Is that safe?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i nearly wet myself.

You think thats bad you should see the more archaic ones out there. i really like that compressor.

nipper

Ok so i ordered the KYB "performance" struts for Blu. The OE struts were more expensive which i thought odd.

i had to read the SKU numbers off the web site, as there was some confusion at first. Free shipping and no sales tax, and 4-7 busines day delivery.

nipper