Ultimate Subaru Message Board

this car defies the laws of physics!

hey there,

i picked up a 91' loyale and am giving it a good once over since im not sure when anything has been changed so...

while draining the radiator today i was alarmed to see only about an inch of coolant in the bottom of the bucket (not a big one either). i noticed the radiator was low but i had no idea it was basically dry.:eek: there were absolutely no signs of the coolant being low by just driving the car. the temp gauge has been well below the middle area since ive been driving it. even while idling or coming back from a half hour drive the engine seemed to be at normal operating temperature. when i changed the oil it looked like normal as did the dip stick- what little antifreeze that poured out didnt seem to have any oil in it. since the car is new to me ive spent quite a bit of time hovering just over the engine checking everything out and haven't noticed any excessive heat.

since i havent had the car very long im not sure how long its been low on coolant but doesn't show any signs of damage, thankfully. since ive got it tore down this far im half tempted to go ahead and change the head gaskets but i dont want to do any unnecessary work. ill probably just go ahead and do all the stuff i had planned (including replacing the water pump and thermostat) and hopefully everything will work out.

trying to catch myself before i make any newbee soob mistakes. any replies or comments would be appreciated.

that's pretty amazing... :confused: i don't know what to say... our honda got a cup low on coolant and the temp gauge needle was jumping so fast it was causing me to panic. when i would come to a stop and the temperature would climb 60 deg. in 1.5 secs. but now that i recall being low on coolant in my '87 gl... when i was driving it back from nasheville.. yeah!!!! i remember!! it had absolutely no coolant in it and it was running above the middle, but only when i was behind a semi. as long as air was hitting the front of the car, it was only halfway up... but there was NO coolant in the radiator. must be them boxer engines. ;)

hey there,

i picked up a 91' loyale and am giving it a good once over since im not sure when anything has been changed so...

while draining the radiator today i was alarmed to see only about an inch of coolant in the bottom of the bucket (not a big one either). trying to catch myself before i make any newbee soob mistakes. any replies or comments would be appreciated.

Dunb question, but did you remove the radiator cap while draining? or the upper hose? If not hten all the coolant may have stayed in the radiator. Like putting you're fingere over the top of a straw. Without a way for air to come in, the water can't get out.

Please don't be offended. I realise you may not be that much of a newb, just had to ask.

Another possibility is that your radiator is so old and plugged, it won't drain out.

I remember in my old XT trying to drain it... opened the drain plug, had a couple drops of coolant come out. Still tons in the radiator. Wouldn't come out until the lower rad hose was pulled off.

Dunb question, but did you remove the radiator cap while draining? or the upper hose? If not hten all the coolant may have stayed in the radiator. Like putting you're fingere over the top of a straw. Without a way for air to come in, the water can't get out.

Please don't be offended. I realise you may not be that much of a newb, just had to ask.

no worries~ im just glad this board is here to see if you soob guys could get your brain around this one.

well, the radiator is out of the car with no hoses on it. havent flushed it as of yet but really only feels as heavy as a radiator should. hopefully i can get out there today and work on it some more. but of course by me tearing down the car and wanting to get most everything done this weekend- its rained the past two days (no garage). i know there might be alot more coolant in the block but damn... im still freaked out by this... guess it just goes to show what tough little motors these soobs have.

cheers

They really can go quite far with hardly any coolant. I first learned it years ago in a dl with no clutch fan to help in such a situation.Made a long journey no problems round trip. I just happen to check it to realize not much was in it several weeks later when I realized I had no heat and the second I filled it coolant came squirting out the little hose under the intake. :confused:

Common sense really. All cylinders have air unlike an inline four which would kill itself if it was low at all near its minumum. airplanes are still taking off after taxi on hot days with an air cooled boxer and 50 year old parts clunkin around weighing in at 3000 lbs. All the old 912 porsches with a rear mounted air cooled engine and opened to be sporty took things in stride.

Liquid cooling is for most engines. For subes it was to have heat. :lol:

Common sense really. All cylinders have air unlike an inline four which would kill itself if it was low at all near its minumum.

What are you rambling on about BGD? This makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

Perhaps your common sense isn't quite so.... common.

i guess if one had to run a engine low on coolant this one would be a good candidate. this engine has the "EA82" underlined by the exhaust manifold which i understand is not the first version which is more prone to cracking.

well hopefully when i put everything back together in a couple days the damn thing will work and not leak anything

i know, wishful thinking...:clap: