Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mine came with 2.5L but now has 2.2L...anyway...I draind and filled it with 4 qrts. It looks so clean i can't get a good read on the stick. It looks full but it Duff Subaru said 5 qrts plus GM limited slip additive. which i purchased and used. "first"...why the descrepancy with dealer quote and stick reading?

Once again...fluid hard to see on stick VERY light pink color.

96 Legacy Outback AWD Auto Trans 15 inch wheels..if it matters.

Total capacity is like 9.8 quarts but you get only about 4 qt out the drain plug. The rest sits in the torque converter. They may have said 5 because they don't want you to be short. I would add the limited slip additive only if you're having a problem with binding.

Yes the fluid can be hard to read on the stick. I can get a reading only with the unit cold. Fire up engine, shift R D 2 1 then P. Then wait a minute. Then pull the dipstick, don't even try to read it the first two times just wipe it off. Then pull it again and get it in front of some light like the headlamp. Look at both sides of the stick. You're looking for where the fluid stops. Sometimes one side of the stick will have fluid all the way up but the other will show a level.