Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 NA intake manifold on an EA81 - worth it?

dfoyl

I'm still kicking around the idea of using GD's EA82 SPFI build-up on my EA81 Brat, but short-term I have a NA EA82 here that isn't really planned to go anywhere. Is there any value in putting the EA82 intake manifold on the EA81 in the Brat - will I get any performance improvement with the larger (from what I've read here and elsewhere) internal diameter of the EA82 manifold ?

I believe the NA and SPFI manifolds are the same - correct or not ? I know the MPFI is completely different :)

Thanks!

Dean.

My brother put a EA82 carb manifold on his EA81. The thing we found is that some (maybe older) EA81's had a smaller carb bolt pattern, and some had the same as the EA82. So I reckon the only gain when he swapped it was to be able to fit a better carb.

I've looked at the manfolds side by side, and I doubt you'd get more then 1hp, if that, out of it.

But as said before, the SPFI manifold won't fit the carb. Stick with your EA81 setup, or get a weber, or get SPFI. I don't think anything inbetween is worth it.

• Like 1

>>The bolt pattern on the spfi intake(on the throttle body area) is quite a bit different.

Well, that sucks :dead: The manifold is about the heaviest part I would need to ship from the states for SPFI I'm guessing, I should have brought one back with me along with the Brat rear bumper I picked up out of Oregon a couple weeks back :grin:

Thanks for the info guys...

Dean.

I talked to GD about getting a SPFI setup to Australia and he said that it's just a tiny bit unreliable for it really. As in the AFM and TPS and that could go wrong and then you would have to source them from the US or what ever. He said just setup custom megasquirt or something as it would be better. If I were you, I'd get a weber or an EJ.

BAH!

I did the SPFI swap on my old BRAT and it was great.... but then I like driving up hills too:dead: Its a real cake swap, and I say totally worth it if you like: going up steep hills, getting good MPG, having good power with little work.... and so on and so on. Only problem I had is of I was going over 80 MPH and floored it, the temp would rise until I backed off, which ment the car would slow down... not that it went much over 80 anyway:lol:

I really just want it to run fine when cold :banana: An EJ swap is just too much work for me at the moment, and I like the EA81...

Dean.

BAH!

I did the SPFI swap on my old BRAT and it was great.... but then I like driving up hills too:dead: Its a real cake swap, and I say totally worth it if you like: going up steep hills, getting good MPG, having good power with little work.... and so on and so on. Only problem I had is of I was going over 80 MPH and floored it, the temp would rise until I backed off, which ment the car would slow down... not that it went much over 80 anyway:lol: