Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy Outback clunking noise

Have a 96 Legacy Outback auto. Randomly when going over bumps will hear a loud clunk followed by a harse grinding noise which will last 30 seconds to a minute then go away. Has only happened a few times. Sound seems like it's coming from the rear drivers wheel. Quick check of the brakes and they look okay, could this be a symptom of a wheel bearing or any other things I should look for?

I think I was wrong about the brakes, the sound came again so I pulled over and jacked up the wheel and when I try to turn it, it's very hard to turn and scrapes as I turn it. (wondering if anything else would cause scraping noise when doing this?) Then I noticed the ABS light came on, and when the noise kicks in it feels like the car is braking, unless something else is just putting resistance and causing it to feel like that. So I'm now thinking a seized caliper. Anyone else have any other thoughs?

Hm...well I would pull the caliper lock pin and swing it up. Might have to pry it a little if it is hanging up. Then try turning the wheel. If it's free, then the caplier probably is siezed/sticking. If it still is hard to turn, could be parking brake hanging up.

Sometimes the backing plates rust and start rubbing against the back of the rotor, but maybe not enough to make it hard to turn the wheel.

If caliper, just pick up a reseal kit for it or get a rebuilt. It may have gotten water past the boot or something. Sometimes when they are siezed it is nearly impossible to get the piston out of the bore with compressed air. In that case I have had luck with pounding it out with the biggest pin punch I can fit through the banjo bolt hole. The piston is pretty tough and even with me pounding on it like crazy there was only a little mark on the piston.

Had a friend help me take it apart, it was the parking brake, everything came loose inside the shoes were just sitting in there, and the springs were everywhere. It ended up destroying the abs sensor and another abs part I forget the name for. Anyways removed the shoes for now and everything is working fine just have no parking brake until I get the new shoes put on.

Hm...well I would pull the caliper lock pin and swing it up. Might have to pry it a little if it is hanging up. Then try turning the wheel. If it's free, then the caplier probably is siezed/sticking. If it still is hard to turn, could be parking brake hanging up.

Sometimes the backing plates rust and start rubbing against the back of the rotor, but maybe not enough to make it hard to turn the wheel.

If caliper, just pick up a reseal kit for it or get a rebuilt. It may have gotten water past the boot or something. Sometimes when they are siezed it is nearly impossible to get the piston out of the bore with compressed air. In that case I have had luck with pounding it out with the biggest pin punch I can fit through the banjo bolt hole. The piston is pretty tough and even with me pounding on it like crazy there was only a little mark on the piston.

Ah ok good work on finding it! Just pick up parking brake kit. It will have new shoes for both sides and fastners for the e-brake cable. The springs aren't too expensive so might as well replace those and the hold down pins and cups. The adjusters are like $13 or $25 each can't memba so might want to reuse those. Here's from before I redid mine in case it is helpful for reference:

brake2.jpgbrake3.jpg