Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are the starters the Same?

Just curious...is the starter in Rocky ( XT6) the same as ones for EA82s? or can parts be interchanged? Just curious cause I have spare EA82 starters and I just had to beat Rocks with a hammer to get him to start...thinking I could swap ones out quick or scavenge parts.

Thanks a Million

I said this in the Carlisle thread as well but ill say it here..i assume that the starters for the XT6 and EA82 would be the same as the ER27 is basically an EA82 with two extra cylinders. Even if they are not the same you can take the starter out and replace the contacts and re-assemble. When you take the starter out there should be a panel on the back of the starter held on by three screws. Unscrew them and take the panel off. You will then see a round cylinder like thing that springs up. Pull it out and put it aside. There will be two contacts on either side of the starter now visible. Remove them and replace with new contacts making sure that your new contacts are flat and make good contact with the round cylinder thing (sorry i dont kno the name for it). Then, if need be, use a metal file on the bottom part of the round cylinder where it makes contact with the two contacts you just replaced. Re-assemble and put back in and you should be golden. An hours worth of work or less and about 3-4 bucks for parts. Sorry for the book and I hope I make sense. Also sorry if you already know everything that i just typed :)

Bump, for a more definite answer on the starter differences....

I've talked to connie via PM about this, and she says that sometimes when she hits the key she gets a click, sometimes just a weak turning of the starter motor (as if the battery were dead) and sometimes it starts fine.

*I* suspect either fouled contacts in the solenoid (not getting good clean juice into the starter motor) bad brushes in the starter motor, or possibly high resistance built up in the keyswitch circuit (in which case my patented relay install would be right up her alley)

Connie, I failed to mention the possibility of fouled up brushes in the PM.. i dont know how that escaped me. These brushes are the "contacts" hatchsub mentioned, and they are what makes a connection between the rotor ("big round thing") and the battery. Remember, an electric motor works by powering two electro magnets... the one (stator) is wrapped around the other (rotor/armature.) The brushes provide the contact to the rotor as it turns; they are spring loaded bits that push against a specific spot on the rotor, which is where hatchsub suggested filing.

I took a totally non functioning starter apart, cleaned it, replaced NOTHING and put it back together in under two hours. That is how I learned how all these things work, and as Fuji is my witness, I will NEVER pay for a "rebuilt" starter again.

I actually put a brand new starter in last night...it was for my own peace of mind cause my other 2 just didnt come close to looking right....all is well and Rocky is running again...BTW Tommy came home with the new starter...I guess I have to keep him now :grin:

awesome. IF the problem should recur (it did for me, after replacing my starter) then the relay fix should be sufficient. IF the problem recurs, then it is a poor contact causing intermittently bad voltage thru to the solenoid activating wire.. BUT the relay needs FAR less amperage to operate than the solenoid does.

Seriously, though... bringing the starter home for you is enough to compensate for the mullet? :-p (of course, I've got a ponytail, too, so I cant really point my finger TOO loudly. A ponytail and a mullet arent the same thing though..)

Just FYI, the "round metal thingie" is called a "contact disk" if I remember correctly :-P I've gotten a few from the local rebuilders more than once (When you go through a really deep mud puddle in your subie, and you get muck inside the starter, the contacts don't like to work anymore :rolleyes:)