Ultimate Subaru Message Board

say hello to other subaru drivers

Hi All,

I've been driving Imprezas for a few years now & one thing I've noticed is that all other Subaru drivers wave to you when passing.

Has anyone else noticed this. It wouldn't be uncommon in rural Ireland for any motorists to wave when passing another but not everyone does - unless it 2 Subarus. i've even seen it in major cities like Dublin, Cork & Galway.

neil

:banana:

I only wave if it looks to be a modified subaru... because then I know that they are at least sort of "down" :lol:

but the other day I gave what I have found to be the "impreza wave" (based on the nasioc.com forum) to a highly modified wrx the other day...

the woman driving appeared to be about 70 years old and seemed to have no idea why I was making a strange hand gesture at her :dead:

I find there is always some sort of positive nonverbal communication when I drive my WRX and pass other WRX drivers. What's funny is we often pull up next to one another and check out the visible mods on the cars. We're all just a bit rally crazy I guess:burnout:

Nothing much happens when I drive the old wagon since there are a zillion Legacy wagons of my make, model, and color in Chicago. What's funny, is that some of my friends would honk at me when they saw me in traffic when I first got my wagon in 95. Problem was, it was never me ... so if you ever got honked at for no reason in Chicago...

I never even THINK about waving to WRXers; they're a different breed. but every time i see an SVX, or a Legacy GT, or a moded Legacy i really WANT to wave, but never do. I'm a big chicken.

Something I've noticed:

WRXers: always seem overly cocky and don't seem to understand exactly what they're driving.

SVXers: With the exception of one guy that i see moderately often with a chameleon paint job, older because they're all the ones that bought the car new in 1992 during their mid-life crisis. now they've forgotten the mistique of the car and it's turned into a grocery-getter.

Legacites: are old.

why am i in the cult again?

I used to wave a lot.. or if a window was down or stopped at an intersection I would throw out a "Nice Subaru!" There is just too many people in a city of 1,000,000+ to do that to everyone. I started getting too many wierd looks and stuff like I Was some kind of nut. Now I just waave or w/e to people who I can TELL understand what their Subaru is to them.

Hey, where in Ireland do you live. My mom is originally from Clouna. She was just over there about two weeks ago and said she didn't see any subaru's at all. It is good to see that there realy are some around.

Hey 86BRATMAN Hows things?

I'm was born & bred in Dublin but living in north west Ireland near Sligo (appox 100miles NW from Dublin) for last 6 years - more rural -more clear roads & less chance of the motor being nicked. Downside is wear & tear on bushes/tires etc - roads are really ************ in parts (most parts!)

Where is Clouna? Is it in Co. Clare?

There are very few Subaru dealers in Ireland and this has resulted in there being few Subarus (or big engine cars due to insurance monopoly for years) in comparasion to Totota, Nissan or Vw's - 9/10 cars you pass are of these 3 manufacturers. Many are pittiful 1.0L's or Company owned Diesel cars. I imported mine in from Northern Ireland as there is a good range up there - some even have come over from th UK to there to meet the demand.

Its extremely rare to see any Subaru's older than a 97 - prob only entered Irish market around then - never saw a Brat or anything like it. We have Justy (now discontinued), Impreza , Outback, Forester & of course the Legacy. they have recently launched for the first time the The B9 Tribeca SUV.

See http://www.subaru.ie/ to get current listings & see pictures.

As they aren't that popular they are expensive but many people come up & comment on Imprezas & ask Q's about them - as if they'd love one. The dealers seem to be located mainly in the cities like Dublin, Cork & Galway. There is a huge mod culture here since around 1990s. It followed the crase which started to become very popular in the UK a few years previous. - Magazines played a huge role in it - REDLINE/MAX POWER ETC.

You get a wave from many mod'ed motors as well as Subie's- they wish they had a Subie I guess - I know I always wanted one before I had these 2.

Don't anyone feel silly waving I think its a nice touch in this mad world we call home. So WAVE TO FELLOW SUBIE'S.

Neil

Where is Clouna? Is it in Co. Clare?

Neil

Yeah its in County Clare. I'm probably spelling this completely wrong, Enistiamon is where she was born.

She was originally a Rynne. And I'm pretty sure she has family in Dublin.

It's good to talk with somebody who shares the same heritage as I do. And another subaru lover on top of that.

On the original topic. I was checking the mail today, and an older gentalman in a 95 outback gave me "the wave" as I was standing by my hatchback. It brought a great joy to my heart to return "the wave" to him as well.

I would love to wave to the people I see driving by in their subies, but a major majority of them are gray haired and don't like the fact I'm checking out their ride as they drive by. The other folks are just regular people and don't pay attention to me in my LOB dd, but since I've been driving my 86 the last few days I've gotten some attention (mostly yelled at or gawked at) becuse it's LOUD and looks like a piece with some good stickers. Oh well, when my Brat is done I'll be gawked at too.

Yeah its in County Clare. I'm probably spelling this completely wrong, Enistiamon is where she was born.

She was originally a Rynne. And I'm pretty sure she has family in Dublin.

It's good to talk with somebody who shares the same heritage as I do. And another subaru lover on top of that.

On the original topic. I was checking the mail today, and an older gentalman in a 95 outback gave me "the wave" as I was standing by my hatchback. It brought a great joy to my heart to return "the wave" to him as well.

Probably Ennistymon. You've prob heard all about the Cliffs of Moher & Bunratty Castle so. Lovely part of the world we holiday there at least twice a year for long weekends.

I'm happy to say that here in Montana you can still give a one finger (index ?the one next to your thumb)

to anyone on the road no matter what you're driving and get the same back,

of course this is mainly driving on secondary roads where you get real sleepy over long distance and that's the only finger that still works or is available after the logging trucks or out of staters cutting you off or passing you at 70 mph in a no passing zone:grin:

• 3 years later...

In Dundalk I don't know if they would do it where I grew up cause they're all headers, but where I live now in Chicago they don't cause it too big. If you talk to another Subaru driver they agree that the will never buy another car unless it is a subaru. In the US they have a book they send to owners called "Drive", google it. There was once an section in it about waving to other Subie drivers.

Hammer Down

In Dundalk I don't know if they would do it where I grew up cause they're all headers, but where I live now in Chicago they don't cause it too big. If you talk to another Subaru driver they agree that the will never buy another car unless it is a subaru. In the US they have a book they send to owners called "Drive", google it. There was once an section in it about waving to other Subie drivers.

Hammer Down

I can't find the original issue with the flood of responses, but this is the best I could find:

http://www.subaru.com/drive/fall09_yt_shake.html