Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What if?

On my 87 GL wagon I am having troubles removing the rest of the shatter remains of my old window on the top and right side.Everything ive tried doesn't seem to work or work very fast.Can I just wear a face shield and take an angle grinder to the glass and adhesive?I figure the glass will be peeled away from the adhesive the instant the grinding wheel touches it then just grind most of the adhesive off.Tomarrow I am borrowing a grinder from college to cut the sway bar on my saab inhalf(it is a royal pain in the rear to take out because it makes weird bends and such.take it out without grinder=5 hours,with grinder=20 minutes.)

so yea,I'll have a grinder and a need to get the new window fitted,so what harm would it do to just grind out the remaining bits of glass and adhesive?

glass dust wouldn't be fun to get in your eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hair, pores, anywhere. I'd rather get dunked in a vat of undercarriage greasedirt and have to scrub it all off than get glass dust all over me. what's wrong with the window?

problem is the glue is a RPIA to get out.Progess is measured in inches for a couple hours spent.this is the rear window on the hatch. car is an 87 wagon.I need to get most of it out so I can put in a new window...

good pair of gloves, heat gun (a real one, not a hair dryer) and a stiff putty knife.

the heat gun will soften the adhesive enough to scrape it off with the putty knife.

would recommend removing/moving any plastic trim pieces that are close to the area you will be working - melted plastic is not a good thing...

You don't want to remove ALL the old adhesive either. Leaving a bit of it is recomended. (I went to school for autobody and glass and this is what we were taught) Just get a stiff, flat scraper/puttyknife. Use it like a chisel to with a hammer. Still were a mask. Shouldn't be that hard to get it off. Buy a roll of Buytl-Acetate rubber seal(Windshield tape, napa will have it). Don't use the tube crap it is messy and takes a long time to cure.