Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What grade of gas are YOU using?

Particularly, in the EA82T? I've been running premium (************ty 91octane in our neck o' the woods) on the premise that turbo motors require high octane; but I've begun to wonder.

And remember: DONT BUY GAS TOMORROW!!! (15th May) in support of a national boycott of the american oil tyrannts. hey...it worked 10 years ago, lets try it again <1997, refusal of consumers to buy gas on one day caused an 80c drop in prices the next day>

Particularly, in the EA82T? I've been running premium (************ty 91octane in our neck o' the woods) on the premise that turbo motors require high octane; but I've begun to wonder.

And remember: DONT BUY GAS TOMORROW!!! (15th May) in support of a national boycott of the american oil tyrannts. hey...it worked 10 years ago, lets try it again <1997, refusal of consumers to buy gas on one day caused an 80c drop in prices the next day>

Regular.

Lets see some documentation on the 1997 gas deal.

It will only work in the long run if you don't use gas that day. If you just delay and buy it the next day nothing will change, in the long run anyhow..

91 or 95 in my EA81.

I've been running 87oct. in my EA82T. Actually I get better milage with the 87 than with 91. I've noticed the brand making a difference powerwise before say Shell vs. Generic. Good quality 87 is better than crappy 91

It will only work in the long run if you don't use gas that day. If you just delay and buy it the next day nothing will change, in the long run anyhow..

Or if we went the entire WEEK without buying gas.. I haven't been using much since I've been out of work, I need to get my bike fixed lol... or at least get a motorscooter thing :-P

I ran 87 when I first got it, but I noticed the engine making odd noises and lacking power when I tried to accelerate uphill (errr, up a bridge, no hills in south florida) so I tried some high test (93 octane) and it went away.. I mentioned it to my ASE certified brother, the previous owner of the car, and he said that he told me when I got it that it needed high test... SINCE I am out of work right now, the next time I put fuel in it I am PROBABLY gonna go for 87 just for an experiment.

On the gas thing.. there is only ONE way to lower gas prices. Get a bicycle.

We have a finite amount of raw petroleum left on this planet. Gas prices WILL continue to rise, simply to lower our demand, until we find a magical limitless supply of petroleum. In other words, forever. I like to say "Gas prices have hit a new low" because THAT is the plain and simple truth. Just be thankful that your car gets 25-30 MPG.

I have been runnig cheapo in both my Loyale and XT6...but I dont have a turbo so its no help...Hey..you want to put a hurting on the gad tyrants...everyone should be driving EA82 FWD 5 spd wagons:lol: $10 (@$3.11 a gallon) gets me 110 miles in traffic in Bucky:banana: :banana: $10 in Rocky gets me to the next gas station:rolleyes:

I run 85 oct (regular gas here at these higher elevations) and have no problems in my EA81 Turbo.

And the whole don't pump gas thing is absurd. Anyone with a decent understanding of economics knows that it won't make a difference.

Or if we went the entire WEEK without buying gas.. I haven't been using much since I've been out of work, I need to get my bike fixed lol... or at least get a motorscooter thing :-P

You live in Corvallis, Heck yeah you better get you're bike fixed. With 25mph speed limits everywhere, you can get around faster on bike! Just make sure you have a light at night. The cops there WILL ticket you for not having one. Stop for stop signs and stay off sidewalks too. They'll ticket for that too.

You live in Corvallis, Heck yeah you better get you're bike fixed. With 25mph speed limits everywhere, you can get around faster on bike! Just make sure you have a light at night. The cops there WILL ticket you for not having one. Stop for stop signs and stay off sidewalks too. They'll ticket for that too.

The cops here will ticket for just about anything.....

woah, so what the highest grade of juice you guys can get hold of then? all sounds a bit low 85oct? no such thing here!

In my area the octanes are 87($2.87 currently) low, 89($2.95) mid, and 93($3.03) for high at standard pumps. About a 45 minute drive can get some 110 leaded, or for a trip to the county airport, with some gas cans, you can get 100 low lead for about $4 a gallon.

i used 87 until my motor exploded, luckily i hit the eject button just in time. so i started using 89...ran much better, an extra 15 hp and 13mpg. this time it made it 10,000 miles before it spit a piston bearing out the exhaust pipe. i upgraded to 91 and oh my goodness it runs like a new car. i smoked a dodge stealth triple turbo the other day with it. i couldn't touch a honda with that 87 junk.

Here in my Country, I use to Drive both my Wagons with Low Octane and High Octane Levels without much difference at All... in my Country there are only those two kinds of Gas, both Unleaded since 1994.

Since Here only are avaliable High Octane (Called "Premium" with suposed to be 90 octanes, but it hardly reaches 87 :-\ ) @ $4.ºº USD per Gallon (Around L70.ºº Lempiras, -our Currency is always around 20 per USD-) and Low Octane (Called "Regular" that supossed to be 85 octanes but it hardly reaches 83 :-\ ) @ $3.50 USD per Gallon... I frequently switch from one to another -due to avaliability issues- (Not only avaliability of Gas itself... sometimes I ran out of money :mad: ) and I have noticed This:

I don´t have a EA82Turbo, but in my Weberized EA82, I have noticed that with just "Premium" Gas, the Car uses Less amount of it to do the Same work, than with "Regular" Gas. :eek:

Really! ... I don´t have valve´s noise issues, nor fumes or Smokes, or anything noticeable usin´ just Premium or Regular, but if my Subie uses only Regular, it will Eat more to do the same effort / trip \ Miles than the amount that it shall eat with just Premium in exactly the same conditions of Load / enviroment \ Road.

Dad said that he heard some sort of Valve´s noises in the engine of the Yellow Wagon, when he use Regular Fuel... so he only use Premium...

What do you think ´bout? :confused:

In Australia here I get a choice of 89, 91, 95, 98 and 102. I find it was actually cheaper using the 98 then anything else for mileage, and way better performing. The 102 is only at very few servos. But I used to normally just grab 91 as that is "regular" and there is more pumps with that so you don't have to wait. In the EJ I buy the highest that doesn't need to be waited for.

I found most cars get better $ per KM the higher octane it is.

woah, so what the highest grade of juice you guys can get hold of then? all sounds a bit low 85oct? no such thing here!

Various countries use various different methods for measure octane levels.

Premium at lower elevations in the US is 93, at higher elevations its 91. Its probably the same octane as your premium (or pretty close), just its rated differently.

Various countries use various different methods for measure octane levels.

Myth. Octane is otcane. high octane at higher altitude may burn slower so it may act like lower octane. But all contries read it the same way.

A octane rating is basically comparing the fuels burn to pure 100% octane. So a 98 octane fuel burns 2% slower then pure octane.

higher octane ratings are good for turbo cars.. helps avoid detonation.. although "regular" yields better gas mileage.. my motor likes the premium stuff.. vegas serves up 91.. some of the stations you can get 100 for 5.25 a gallon..

Both my subie turbo and my supra turbo get the best the pump will dish out regardless of price.. hurts the wallet but helps the car..

I just keep seeing this thread and thinking it would be wise to clarify that "octane rating" is a rating of nothing other than anti-detonation qualities. I recently read it in an automotive textbook in the best, simplest language that I have ever encountered; higher octane fuels have more antidetonant agents. (meaning an additive to prevent "pinging," just like the chevron cars say.)

"Octane" has no literal translation to power potential within the fuel; although it DOES allow a more aggresive tune to the engine; this could be evidenced in the fact that your car runs fine "tuned" as it is (current spark voltage/timing/etc) on high test and not low; it could be evidenced by finding a more aggressive setting for initial timing by switching to high octane in a vehicle that may otherwise be fine at stock settings with low test. BUT it does not inherently have any greater power potential as a fuel.