Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Complete AC system replacement parts sources?

2 questions:

Where to source complete AC system parts for 1997 Legacy Auto 2.2 AWD?

Is the Evaporator not impossible to remove in a couple hours?

The Legato AC has bitten it. :-\ The AC shop called it "black death".

All components must be replaced, they said, except the evaporator, which they said they can 'probably' flush. They will give a year warranty.

It appears that the evaporator replacement is pretty straightforward, evac system, undo hoses, remove the glovebox, undo some stuff, remove evap and expansion valve.

So I told them to wait to hear from me this afternoon. I siad I may want to just replace everything. They want $1100 for all except old evap. (They are very professional/reasonable and I have had god experience with them in the past, and will post their name if they do good this time.)

From other threads here, I understand they have to be matching components.

So I am shopping for parts. They seem agreeable to me to install my own evaporator,

but I need to find matching expansion valve, condensor, evaporator, drier, compressor, and hoses.

Any especially good sources? The standard 'drivewire', etc. don't show the detailed info too well.

Thanks for any and all advice

mpergielelmhurstil97legato99forester

I found these at rockauto.com. Still no evaporator or hoses. Sent them a note.

1. A/C Condenser

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 74569 {To 1/97} others available similar prices.

to 1/97 $102.79 $0.00 $102.79

2. A/C Receiver Drier

FOUR SEASONS Part # 33590

Aluminum Filter Drier w/ Pad Mount $10.14

3. A/C Expansion Valve

FOUR SEASONS Part # 38637

TXV O-Ring Expansion Valve $30.89

4. A/C Compressor

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 0667443

Reman w/Clutch $261.89

or you could just replace the failed component...probably the compressor?

i replace bad a/c compressors all the time and pull a vaccuum and recharge with amazing success. i've never had a problem doing it that way. all of that only needs to be replaced if lots of material circulated through the system...that's not a typical failure mode in my experience. leaks, a/c compressor clutches, bearings and more frequently 50 cent schrader valves are the most common cause of a/c not working....i would not jump to the highest dollar conclusion when it could be fixed for less than a dollar or at least $1,000 less with a new compressor. it's kind of like saying "i've got bad spark...let's replace the motor".

while it's open i always replace the easy to get to o-rings and the schrader valves (there are only two). the schrader valves do not last forever...every time you get a tire you get new schrader valves but everyone leaves their 10 year old deteriorating valves in the a/c and hopes it lasts. they don't, they have a small o-ring at the base that typically looses seal over time.

all of the soobs i've seen just needed new compressors and worked golden after replacing them. i've never even replaced them with new units...but i have on other non-subaru vehicles for friends.

It's full of black crud. Like this:

http://www.autoacforum.com/aacf/blackdeath.cfm

or you could just replace the failed component...probably the compressor?

i replace bad a/c compressors all the time and pull a vaccuum and recharge with amazing success. i've never had a problem doing it that way. all of that only needs to be replaced if lots of material circulated through the system...that's not a typical failure mode in my experience. leaks, a/c compressor clutches, bearings and more frequently 50 cent schrader valves are the most common cause of a/c not working....i would not jump to the highest dollar conclusion when it could be fixed for less than a dollar or at least $1,000 less with a new compressor. it's kind of like saying "i've got bad spark...let's replace the motor".

while it's open i always replace the easy to get to o-rings and the schrader valves (there are only two). the schrader valves do not last forever...every time you get a tire you get new schrader valves but everyone leaves their 10 year old deteriorating valves in the a/c and hopes it lasts. they don't, they have a small o-ring at the base that typically looses seal over time.

all of the soobs i've seen just needed new compressors and worked golden after replacing them. i've never even replaced them with new units...but i have on other non-subaru vehicles for friends.

I may be able to help you out. I have a 98 legacy 2.2 that hopefully I'm junking soon. A/C has never worked because of a leaky condesor-to-reciever drier (liquid) line. Can be had from subarupartsforyou.com for like 50$ The rest just sits there. There is the question of whether or not the orings and compressor seals have dried out or not, but its all yours if you're willing to pay shipping. Let me know.

88whitecat

Hi grossgary. When you pull that vacuum, what kind of pump do you use and how long do you pull the vacuum for? (heard it can take awhile to get out moisture).

Also do you replace the accumlator containing the dessicant, or can that be dried if a vacuum is pullled long enough?

Thanks!

Hi grossgary. When you pull that vacuum, what kind of pump do you use and how long do you pull the vacuum for? (heard it can take awhile to get out moisture).

Also do you replace the accumlator containing the dessicant, or can that be dried if a vacuum is pullled long enough?

Thanks!

might want to start another post so his doesn't get hijacked, don't want to confuse the thread if he's looking for something. maybe a moderator can split this thread? i attach a pressure gauge and go to town. i don't know that i pull it long enough to "boil" the water out of the system or not. maybe 15 minutes, i've heard of some people leaving it all night. i use a cheap vacuum puller ($15) from harbor freight that works with my air compressor. works okay according to the gauges, very easy to use actually. i've got a couple cars and friends driving around for a few years and none have had problems yet. often the refrig pressure decreases down to atmospheric pressure and once it's equal there's no reason for the refrigerant to keep coming out. now i know temp changes and other things make it more dynamic than that, but my point is that they rarely leak to zero and they rarely have all air and no refrig...so, it's not like there's *that much* air in the system anyway. now..i have also done this to completely open systems that i know were full of air...swap a compressor and condensor that were sitting the garage. still no problems either. i'll keep doing it this way until i need to do something else. so far i've hardly spent any money, so it seems pointless to do it any different until i have to. i've never replaced an accumulator or the dessicant. i don't think that stuff can be "recharged", but i don't know. i just replace the bad part and charge it, real simple. frankly, you do'nt even have to pull a vaccumm, i've done a few friends car just by charging it the ghetto way and it worked fine...still working to this day. i'm a novice when it comes to a/c work, but what i'm doing keeps working so i'll keep doing it. i tell all my friends what you're "supposed to do" and what i do and why...so far so good.

Great thanks grossgary that answers my question. Do you ever add any additional oil to the system? Sorry yes I should have started a new thread.

I have one of those Harbor Freight vacuum puller things, at the one near me they're closing them out for like $6. I think I'll try it with my '94 Legacy; it was in a front ender and I think the condenser is ruptured. I have a condenser I got in the parts wanted section on here. The new accumulators with desiccant are over $100 so I hope to avoid that cost...shoot I'm assuming this vehicle is 134a I better check. It's the Zexel.

i don't add oil unless i think it needs it. i've added a little to a/c compressors that sat for awhile. for yours i probably would add a tiny bit.

i wouldn't replace the accumulator, but i take no responsibility for what happens afterwards on your part! actually i had to replace the condensor on my daily driver when i got it last summer. i replaced the a/c compressor and condensor with used ones. i also replaced the orings at each juncture and the schrader valves. working great.

Could that blackdeath be flushed out with something? Like trichloroethane but I don't think you can get that anymore. Maybe it would be worth a shot to replace the o-rings, schraders and stuff, recharge and see what happens. That shouldn't cost too much esp if you can do it yourself and maybe it would work?

Thanks grossgary that's great info. Do the compressors go bad from sitting/being at ambient? I don't know if mine's bad. Just got the vehicle, can see the condenser is bent up from front ender, and the a/c doesn't work.

Did you get oem o-rings or do those green hnbr ones work? I saw a hnbr set at harbor freight. Didn't get it because it is SAE sizes. I'm assuming the Subaru is some metric size.

I was thinking I'd have to buy or rent one of those 'micron level' refrig vacuums. I'll try the Harbor Freight vacuum puller, replace the o-rings, schrader valves, etc. I checked it is 134a. At the worst I'll waste a little refrigerant.

if anything gets circulated through the system that stuff is best to replace. attempting to clean it out, only to end up ruining your compressor and doing it all over again isn't worth it. particularly if you're paying labor or for new parts. that's why shops won't clean it, they don't want that liability of it possibly (probably in some cases) not working.

i just use a pack of generic o-rings off the shelf. i use the closest one that works, never had a problem doing it that way.

i've used compressors that have sat. the clutch and bearings can be generally looked over before installing. spin and check for noise, make sure the clutch works...you'll have to give the clutch terminals 12 volts to make sure it engages. then put your fingers over the holes while turning the compressor by hand. you'll feel if it's compressing or not, the air pressure will build and escape past your finger with louds psssft sounds. if all of this checks out, the compressor will likely function just fine. some oil in it won't hurt if you're unsure.

The compressor sounds like a coffee grinder. I think things have go a little past patching.

Whether the vap should be cleaned: "It depends", according to the AC shop guys. :cool: Everything for sure is trashed except possibly the evaporator. The spaces in the condensor are too small to be cleaned. The drier is contaminated, the compressor shot, the expansion valve has to come out with the evaporator, and since we're talking about $525, why not just make it an even $700 for parts. (BTW, that is about a 1/4 of a total pro shop refit, lowest $$ I could find on parts I was fairly certain would work. I will post specific parts if successful).

I went with new parts because I like the car, it was cheap, I expected some expense. I'm willing to risk it.

There is special flushing/cleaning fluid for cleaning the evaporator. I'm sure TCE would work, but I'm not messing with that toxic carcinogen. I hope to be able to clean the lines with some solvent and rod them out and reuse them.

The shop guys said cleaning the evap was something they did if the customer squawked about the cost (extra expensive because most cars are hell to get the evap out of the dash), but they didn't recommend it. They guaranteed it for a year, but that's about all.

I was able to get all parts except evaporator from Rockauto, we will see if they fit/work. Evaporator came from partstrain. Funny how the various parts suppliers could provide either but not both. Some could provide Compressor, condensor, receiver. Some could supply evaporator. None could do all of them (I don't even check oem. The shop guys said they called oem Subaru but couldn't get the evap.)

I got matching manufacturers for the compressor and expansion valve. Crossed fingers.

We will see.

Found these photo references that helped me decide to go ahead:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41067&highlight=evaporator

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/acevap/

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/accomp/

Could that blackdeath be flushed out with something? Like trichloroethane but I don't think you can get that anymore. Maybe it would be worth a shot to replace the o-rings, schraders and stuff, recharge and see what happens. That shouldn't cost too much esp if you can do it yourself and maybe it would work?

Thanks grossgary that's great info. Do the compressors go bad from sitting/being at ambient? I don't know if mine's bad. Just got the vehicle, can see the condenser is bent up from front ender, and the a/c doesn't work.

Did you get oem o-rings or do those green hnbr ones work? I saw a hnbr set at harbor freight. Didn't get it because it is SAE sizes. I'm assuming the Subaru is some metric size.

I was thinking I'd have to buy or rent one of those 'micron level' refrig vacuums. I'll try the Harbor Freight vacuum puller, replace the o-rings, schrader valves, etc. I checked it is 134a. At the worst I'll waste a little refrigerant.