Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping Center Consoles

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Will a 2WD radio box fit into a 4WD car?
No. 2WD box is one piece and 4WD box is in two halves. 2WD box interferes with the 4WD linkage and you have trouble shifting gears.

Odd, my neighbor just had that problem tonight. We spent about an hour trying to make the 2WD console work and finally gave up. I guess it could be done but we ran out of daylight and packed it in.

I had to cut my trans tunnel to swap in the EA82 5 speed, so that might work out. I would really like this to work since it would give my dash area a lot more functionality. I'm going to give it a try anyway. On a related note, do you think that a short throw shifter would allow the appropriate clearance? I've been thinking about doing Skip's shifter mod...

• 7 months later...

The research continues... I installed the upper 2WD mounting bracket and modified the lower bracket to fit the drill holes in the factory 4WD transmission tunnel. The shifter is indeed very close to the console, but I think it will work out.

I also need to verify that the modern stereo will still clear the shifter and heater core.

The research continues... I installed the upper 2WD mounting bracket and modified the lower bracket to fit the drill holes in the factory 4WD transmission tunnel. The shifter is indeed very close to the console, but I think it will work out.

I also need to verify that the modern stereo will still clear the shifter and heater core.

Depends on what deck you get.

But in general, they stick out at least a inch.

Yesterday I trimmed the underside of the shifter area to clear the EA81 style 4WD shifter. After seeing what needed to be done, the current setup is a prototype. A LOT of material had to be removed around the shifter hole to clear the drive selector and it will look kind of cheesy until I figure out how to deal with that.

Now the work begins on the stereo, power mirror switch and gauges. I test fit the stereo from my old setup and it appears that I will have enough room to mount the stereo comfortably, but I'll have to remove the console to unplug the head unit, so space back there will be tight for sure.

• 1 month later...