Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PO'd the Subaru Gods

Must have done it yesterday, rode my bike most of the day.

Today I needed to go to a yard to check out a Brat and change the title of a free Soob I picked up last week. I just put new brakes on my Brat the day before and didnt do a test drive after the job was done:rolleyes: Got in it this morning and got out the driveway and the left brake was almost siezed up. I'm saying...well you know. I drove around the block and it didnt free up, so I parked it (smoking brake and all) and jumped in the RX. I got about 12mi from the house and was climbing a good size hill (South Center, Hwy512 for the locals) and I looked in my rearview and there was nothing but white smoke. All 3 lanes behind me:eek: Well, you know what I was saying again, just a repeat. I pulled off at the next exit and lifted the hood to see what was wrong, I tore a inner CV boot. Right in front of the DP. Well ok, grease should all be gone, problem solved (temporarily). Go in to proceed with my original plans and it decides to atart running on 3 cylinders. Well you know what I said, broken record by now. I figure I better limp it home, dont want to take a chance of screwing something else up. Get it home and now I have the free wagon sitting there, saying "take me, take me!". I know the history of the car, it was overheated at one time. But it survived and was driven around town for months without any problems. I get on the freeway and was just about to head up the same hill and I look at the gauges. The temp is about 7/8. Yeah, you know the routine by now:rolleyes: I barely make it up the hill and find a station to use some water, I'm hoping to cool it down. I got it down to normal temp, at idle. Jumped in and started back home. By now I'm not wanting to finish any plans I had for the day, go figure:-\ It takes me almost 2hrs to get the car home. I got close but it was really hot and no hot air was coming out of the heater. Which means it was dry. I stopped at a grocery store and bought 2gal of distilled water and attempted to get water in it. No go, it would just spit it back out. Gret, now I have a blown HG (might have before all this). I got enough water in it to make it the 3mi home and parked it. Wondering if I should still transfer the title for the wagon or call the junker:-\

I get to work on the Brat, check the calipers out, make sure everything is right and add some grease on the moving parts. I figure while I'm at it it, I might as well install the 2 new lower balljoints I have. Half hour later I'm done and everything is hunkydory on the Brat. I should have done it that way to begin with. Still dont know whats up with the RX, will look into that in the next few days. I also picked up a new clutch kit for my Hatch today, now that needs to be put back together.

What a day.

End of rant.

Speechless.... that sucks.

uhm, dont assume headgasket is bad until you confirm with a compression check? I mean, we both know the answer already, but I am trying to help...

at least you've got the BRAT to drive through the sea of brown stuff raining on your head.

Its just something you have to accept when dealing with cars of this age.

I just get a little tweeked when its when I have things I need to get done.

Its ironic that the 85 wagon that I got passed emissions yesterday. Even with it overheating (and possible blown HG):rolleyes:

my rx likes to act like that randomly, like it blows the hg and then fixes it the next time i take it out. i swear the cars are just like girls, the get jealous of other cars and forms of transport.

if i drive my impreza, the rx acts up, and if i drive the rx, the impreza has issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Rob, I know from experience that black RX's are very tempermental. Thus another reason mine went to Subaru heaven, it musta not like to run, but rather sit in a junkyard and be left to die...:rolleyes:

Thats ok though, my SPFI'd EA82 coupe is having hardly any issues, just a couple small ones like timing belt tensioners and stuff like that:-p

Mine refuses to die. Even with the comp the way it is, once the boost kicks in, it just goes:rolleyes: I wont know how to act when I get the new CCR engine in:headbang: Keep my radar dect turned up for sure:-p

Hey Emily, you ship it yet?:grin:

Rob,

It's on the bench, mostly assembled, and would have shipped Monday if Rick hadn't aggravated his double hernia and had to take a couple of days off. (You don't want to know how he describes the pain! :eek: )

Nobody but him finishes the EA82 (especially) turbo engines. I think it will ship Fri. We'll make sure you have it in plenty of time to finish up for WCSS :headbang:

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Must have done it yesterday, rode my bike most of the day.

Today I needed to go to a yard to check out a Brat and change the title of a free Soob I picked up last week. I just put new brakes on my Brat the day before and didnt do a test drive after the job was done:rolleyes: Got in it this morning and got out the driveway and the left brake was almost siezed up. I'm saying...well you know. I drove around the block and it didnt free up, so I parked it (smoking brake and all) and jumped in the RX. I got about 12mi from the house and was climbing a good size hill (South Center, Hwy512 for the locals) and I looked in my rearview and there was nothing but white smoke. All 3 lanes behind me:eek: Well, you know what I was saying again, just a repeat. I pulled off at the next exit and lifted the hood to see what was wrong, I tore a inner CV boot. Right in front of the DP. Well ok, grease should all be gone, problem solved (temporarily). Go in to proceed with my original plans and it decides to atart running on 3 cylinders. Well you know what I said, broken record by now. I figure I better limp it home, dont want to take a chance of screwing something else up. Get it home and now I have the free wagon sitting there, saying "take me, take me!". I know the history of the car, it was overheated at one time. But it survived and was driven around town for months without any problems. I get on the freeway and was just about to head up the same hill and I look at the gauges. The temp is about 7/8. Yeah, you know the routine by now:rolleyes: I barely make it up the hill and find a station to use some water, I'm hoping to cool it down. I got it down to normal temp, at idle. Jumped in and started back home. By now I'm not wanting to finish any plans I had for the day, go figure:-\ It takes me almost 2hrs to get the car home. I got close but it was really hot and no hot air was coming out of the heater. Which means it was dry. I stopped at a grocery store and bought 2gal of distilled water and attempted to get water in it. No go, it would just spit it back out. Gret, now I have a blown HG (might have before all this). I got enough water in it to make it the 3mi home and parked it. Wondering if I should still transfer the title for the wagon or call the junker:-\

I get to work on the Brat, check the calipers out, make sure everything is right and add some grease on the moving parts. I figure while I'm at it it, I might as well install the 2 new lower balljoints I have. Half hour later I'm done and everything is hunkydory on the Brat. I should have done it that way to begin with. Still dont know whats up with the RX, will look into that in the next few days. I also picked up a new clutch kit for my Hatch today, now that needs to be put back together.

What a day.

End of rant.

The biggest reasons for repeated HG failures is that somone didnt send the heads out to a machine shop (not only do they need to be flat, but they need to have the proper finish on the surface), or the engine was cooked and the cylinder liner shifted. The second one is rare but it does happen. There is of course a the possability of a cracked head, but to be pouring out smoke thats a head gasket. On the plus side that one cylinder will be free of carbon.

Good luck

nipper

Rob,

It's on the bench, mostly assembled, and would have shipped Monday if Rick hadn't aggravated his double hernia and had to take a couple of days off. (You don't want to know how he describes the pain! :eek: )

Nobody but him finishes the EA82 (especially) turbo engines. I think it will ship Fri. We'll make sure you have it in plenty of time to finish up for WCSS :headbang:

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Thanks Em, tell Rick he needs to wear a back brace:-p

How many miles before its broken in? 500? (I hope).

Nipper, I had the heads milled after the first HG failure (due to blowing rad hose on fwy). I took pics of the HG from over boosting and the cylinder ring was deformed from hi-comp. Its blowing oil probably because the rings in that cylinder are almost gone:-\ The thing still runs, I've been using it to ferry my boys around town. It knocks bad until it warms up a little and still has a little go when the turbo spools up.