Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help!!!! Flywheel bolts ROUNDED!!!!!!!!

pinksock

I am in the middle of a EJ22-EA81 swap, and I have two flywheel bolts that WONT COME OFF:banghead:. Its so bad that a box wrench or a six point socket wont even fit on it. Ive tried pounding on them, impact gun, six point socket with HUGE breaker bar, box end wrench with breaker bar, and still NOTHING!!!!!:slobber: I'm afraid to use a bolt extracter because I dont want to bust the bolt head OFF, Im thinking of using a air hammer with a chisel?? ANYONE out there have anymore idea's how to remove a rounded off flywheel bolt!!!!!!!!!!! At this point I open for anything, and I mean ANYTHING!!!

You turning them the correct direction? (Sorry, I know I'm a jackass:dead: )

I have had pretty good luck with Vise Grips clamped down and then beat on them with a sledge or slip a long pipe over them, just make sure you clamp them the right way.

They sell some spiffy sockets at Sears that are specifically for rounded off bolt heads, they have one set that's for rounded off heads, and they have another set that's for rounded off heads AND broken bolts/studs, which is what I have, that you drive over the head with a hammer, they work great. They're kind of spendy (I think the set I have was not quite $40) but they will pay for themselves the first time you use them!

Thanks that sound good, I'm sure this want be the only time that I would need them!! So Sears, I'll head there now.:grin:

They sell some spiffy sockets at Sears that are specifically for rounded off bolt heads, they have one set that's for rounded off heads, and they have another set that's for rounded off heads AND broken bolts/studs, which is what I have, that you drive over the head with a hammer, they work great. They're kind of spendy (I think the set I have was not quite $40) but they will pay for themselves the first time you use them!

If you have a dremel tool, you might try to recover some sort of hex shape out of the heads.

Yeah, I used an angle grinder to turn the rounded 14mm heads into 13mm heads. I think the heat of grinding may have helped also. Use a 13mm wrench as a caliper to check your size as you slowly grind away at the six sides.

Since the heads are shallow, I also ground the end of the socket flat. If you look at any socket, you'll see that the part that the bolt head goes into is slightly funnel shaped. On a normal head this is no problem on a shallow head, this leave very little cotact area. Just grind about 1/16" off the end of the socket to get it past the funnel section.

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those "Bolt Out Sockets" from Sear's are worth there weight in GOLD.

Super great product, Recommend them to anyone that has a rounded, bolt, nut, or anything you can get them on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

In about one minute, I had all of them off, Thanks Guy's for the HELP.

Tony Walrath