Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recap!! or, the Spark Plugs that Healed my Car!

Okay, so anyone who was following my problem for the last two months.. knows that I have checked and re checked everything, but haven't had a dime to spend on parts "thrown at a problem" (and I use the phrase VERY loosely.) It took me three weeks of staring at a demonstratably DEAD and non-functioning oxygen sensor, to belly up to the bar, and spend $20 on a brand new one.

These are the spark plugs that caused my car to choke, NGK BPR 6-ES 11, gapped at 0.36" and also tried at 0.40" (what I normally run.)

sparks.jpg

These plugs are less than 40K miles old, and about two years. They looked perfect; I haven't gotten out the microscope to check them yet.

These are the rusty, fouled out, unknown age but at LEAST 4 years old, havent been run in 2 1/2 years, same rating plugs from my Z-car.. unconfirmed gap but *should* be about 0.40":

asparks011.jpg

These are the plugs that fixed my car.

asparks010.jpg

Can you see why I said that I didn't believe it? Spark plugs would have been the first thing to replace, had my GM given me the shift off (when I requested it to work on my car) rather than let me go. But, having zero dollars, and seeing the ones I had, I couldn't even convince myself it would be worth trying the foul nasty plugs from the Z that actually did work.

Tonight, I bought a set of brand new ones, gapped 'em, and screwed them in. It felt could to feel that brand new seal squish down, let me tell you.

I am trying to avoid focusing on being angry at the solution, or the three month battle.. I am just concentrating on the fact that car goes Vroom now. It runs smooth as silk. Yay.:clap:

This is resident moron, signing off! :banghead:

It only took me a day to fix my similiar problem. After the crap my RX did to me yesterday, I went and bought new plugs today. I didnt even look at the old ones first. BUT, I did do a compression test while installing the new ones.

#1 Cyl = 100

#2 cyl = 100

#3 cyl = 100

#4 cyl = 75 :-\

If the car didnt have a turbo, it would be very noticable. But its starting to loose oil and smoke a little. So I will be giving CCR a call tomorrow for a price on a short block.

This car might be up for sale after that. Tired of dealing with old technology and the problems associated with the EA82T:rolleyes:

Sorry for the H/J D:-p

Bucky has a tendency to go through plugs..have never checked into why ..but cylinder 3 likes to burn out....I have never done a compression test ( cause I dont have a tester) I just replace the plugs at least once a year. I know when money is tight it is hard to spend it...but to me its cheap insurance ..plus now with Rocky taking the same plugs...I should by them in bulk:grin: .

Dhawn...I know how it feels to be toying with a repair for months and finally come to find out it was something dumb...my first Subaru ( 88 GL wagon)did that to me..took it to 4 garages and even broke down and took it to the dealer...no one could figureout why it would blow smoke when turning left and usually shut off and not want to restart for 10-15 minutes.....turns out a friend at the junk yard told me it was a clogged breather line and replaced it...no problems after that...definately a beat head on wall moment:banghead: .

Sorry it cost you your job...but now you can find a better one ( always look on the bright side of things) and it could have been alot worse.

Maybe you can find some work at a Subaru repair shop.

were you being facetious? :-p I don't know if that is a good idea, from all the recent experience (like they ever see 80s cars :rolleyes:) or if the experience would be one of sheer masochism, since I have enjoyed this one *oh* so much!!

I just, quite frankly, do not BELIEVE the plugs that were good versus the plugs that weren't. I haven't taken her for much of a drive with the new plugs, but a re-clearing of the any stored ECU codes, and a quick D-check tomorrow, and I can re-assemble my interior!!!

Since I've had it apart, I have noticed what seems (to me) to be an inordinate amount of heat in at least one of the wires connected to my ignition switch; I can only PRESUME it is the "on" circuit, so I might end up having to relay another circuit on this thing to relieve some of the amperage. Otherwise, she is running smooth as a dream. Now I just need a flush-out of the cooling system, some antifreeze, and maybe a new air filter and some holes in the air box.

I have been waiting SOOOOO long to say this.....

I love my Subaru again!!!!!!!!! :banana:

I had a almost similar experience, I've been searching months for a stumble and checked everything once, twice, thrice :rolleyes: except the timing belts, because a shop replaced them....

yes, you guessed it, one belt was 1,5 tooth off... after fixing that, it ran beautiful, and the fun thing is, all my other work wasn't useless, all the cleaning I did, new filters, re adjusting TPS and such, made the car run like new after the belts were properly installed

so don't be too mad at yourself, atleast you know that the O2 sensor is working properly :-p

I wasn't kidding when I said that. You have a good knowledge of the way things work and good troubleshooting skills. The fact that you stuck with solving the trouble until it was found says a lot also. You should be able to help out in a shop somewhere. If you like doing that kind of thing then you may want to pursue that.

I wasn't kidding when I said that. You have a good knowledge of the way things work and good troubleshooting skills. The fact that you stuck with solving the trouble until it was found says a lot also. You should be able to help out in a shop somewhere. If you like doing that kind of thing then you may want to pursue that.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75179

This reminds me of the time I completely dissassembled a VW engine, and completely reassembled it, then realized it was a damn spark plug wire that was causing a miss.

That sucked hard.

Thanks, man!! I didn't take the comment the wrong way in any case.

I can only credit the years I spent as a vet tech (para-medical field) to aid me in my diagnostic technique. That and simple logic, Factory service manuals, and of course all the sheer data available through the USMB. I have *Seriously* considered trying to get into some sort of mechanical field, but I would not want to be a clock punching wrench turner, doing brake jobs on camrys and alignments on minivans all day.. My brother does that and as a result, he no longer wants to see a car outside of work. I can very easily imagine that becoming me.

If I get a job with a wrench in my hand, it will be on a pathway to working in a performance engine builder/machine shop, or something of a similar ilk. I applied for a job with Mosler Automotive Engineering about a year ago, but I was apparently *just* too late; they advertised for trainee machinist positions, but I didn't see the ad until they had hired someone. :-\

I feel that I have a knack for the "higher order" of mechanicking, but lack in fundamental skills somewhat. BUT, I am constantly growing.. my subaru, and this forum, have a lot of responsibility for the level that I have now reached. Before the sum and total of what a car was seemed a little daunting to me, but the subaru helped me see it as one multi-puropsed machine, with a central power plant and numerous associated sub systems.

Well, now I am just rambling on pointlessly.. BUT thanks a bunch for the compliment! Especially coming on the heels of such a doofus discovery, hearing that makes me feel more like I know what I am doing.

You're welcome. If you can get your foot in the door of a shop that does things that appeal to you then you can grow further on with training classes and such. Maybe home study courses. Doing IM work is a challenge to determine what is wrong with a engine I think. There are a number of areas that need good trained techs. Even entry level techs. You start at the bottom and work on up. One of the biggest needs in service shops I think is the knowledge of good electrical and electronic troubleshooting. Cars are using more and more electronics all the time so someone having that skill is a plus. Of course, using your skills at a shop that works on Soobs would be great.:burnout: