Ultimate Subaru Message Board

yet another EJ wiring question (Temperature)

baccaruda

My donor engine / harness are a 1990 (3-plug) EJ22.

The coolant passage pipe on top of the block has a "Thermometer" with one pole and a "Water Temperature Sender" which has two poles and is brown/red.

The WTS deals with both the EJ gauge and the ECU.

I can't seem to find where the "Thermometer" goes to.

I am going to drill and tap one of those sensors' holes for an EA temperature sender (digidash's idiot light, single pole). M16 thread, 1.5 pitch FYI. ;)

I thought I'd read that someone drilled out the WTS hole but as that goes to the ECU, and since I can't see as how the "Thermometer" seems to go anywhere, I wanted to double check what I'd read..

The single pole EJ sensor is just for the gauge and idiot light in the legacy. Good luck drilling and tapping... i though about doing that, but decided just to stick with having a temp gauge that is scaled funny. Since both my cars are setup the same, its pretty standard for me now.

M16 seems rather large for that area where the sensor is... Take pics!

ps.. i got your box :)

wewt for the box. :burnout:dry on low heat only!!!!

I had the thought that both of the senders on the EJ looked to have approximately the same sized male end. With what you're saying, I don't need the Thermometer at all.. so I could move the WTS over to the Thermometer's area (you're right, it does have less area in which to comfortably drill and tap) and steal the WTS' old spot for the M16/1.5 EA gauge sender.

Unless... do we know how the EJ Thermometer compares electrically to the EA digidash's sender?? That would be neat if I could cheat a little there...

Dave.. that's awesome to know. Looks like less work for me!

Do you happen to know how the stock EJ oil pressure light sender compares to the 86 digidash's sender? It would be even better if I had one less sensor to add for now...

Bratman, this is in my 86.

My donor engine / harness are a 1990 (3-plug) EJ22.

The coolant passage pipe on top of the block has a "Thermometer" with one pole and a "Water Temperature Sender" which has two poles and is brown/red.

The WTS deals with both the EJ gauge and the ECU.

I can't seem to find where the "Thermometer" goes to.

I am going to drill and tap one of those sensors' holes for an EA temperature sender (digidash's idiot light, single pole). M16 thread, 1.5 pitch FYI. ;)

I thought I'd read that someone drilled out the WTS hole but as that goes to the ECU, and since I can't see as how the "Thermometer" seems to go anywhere, I wanted to double check what I'd read..

I'm pretty sure that just like the EAs, the EJ uses seperate sensors for the ECU and Gauge. Single pole "thermometer" sends signal to the Gauge, "WTS" with 2 poles is for the ECU.

EA analog and digidashes use the same sender(thermometer) so the scale is the same. Should be no difference with using it in digi or analog dash. I would think it best to thread the manifold for the right sender, ort at least fix the scale with a resistor. You're EA gauge will never show hot using an EJ sender, you'd be guessing as to how hot your actually running. Basically once it got hot the sender would be far from acurate would stop rising even though the engine is getting hotter and hotter.

I drilled and tapped 2 so far. Both work great. The first one I used an ej22 turbo crossover pipe. I did that because there are 2 sets of places that there is enough metal for sensors...leave the originals in their holes and drill out the 2nd metal tappable areas larger area for the ea sensor. The one I did with a standard pipe was very tedious but still doable. I tapped out the smaller hole for the 2 prong ej22 sensor and the bigger hole for the ea.

If you have one, the turbo ea81's have the sensor mounted in the heater hoses. Thats what I am using in my 83 EA81T 2.2 conversion. Mine, thusfar, has run real nice and cool.