Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So yesterday I decided that I would fix my 12volt outlet, and add 2 more while I had the dash open before I leave to drive cross country on tuesday. All went well with the stock outlet, reassembled it, replaced blown fuse...back to normal.

I noticed that taped up next to the wires for the outlet was another wire harness that terminated in one of those white clip/2spade jobs connected to nothing. Potentially perfect for what I'm trying to do here. So i got out the electrical meter to see if it had power and accidentally touched both spades with the same probe. DOH! A spark flew, so I know that it was live, but now its dead, and I can't seem to track down a fuse for it anywhere. The wire seems to run into the stereo wire harness, more or less, but the stereo still works, along with everything else, and all the fuses in the box are still good.....

Anyone have any idea where I might find a fuse for this?

Thanks!

you may have shorted out the remote wire or a pre amp out wich both send out power, you may get lucky and there might be a fuse on the back of the stereo or it may not have one and you could have fried the connection. It is a power that comes from the deck.

I guess it could be that, but it looks like the wires go up the harness coming out of the back of the stereo and go away from the stereo to wherever those wires might end up on the other side.

Regardless, any opinions on what the best way to hard wire in a couple of new power outlets would be?

I'm thinking I might just tie right into the existing wires that go to the existing power outlet.

Is that an okay thing to do?

I'm thinking I might just tie right into the existing wires that go to the existing power outlet. Is that an okay thing to do?

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you want the outlets hot all the time, just wire them directly to the battery with a fuse(s) as close to the battery as possible.

You can tap into the hot wire for the existing outlet, but then all the outlets will share the same fuse; probably 10A or maybe 15A. So you can't run some power hungry inverter and a TV and an igloo cooler all at once.