Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, wondering if anyone could help me out with this one.

My '91 Legacy AWD manual is making a grinding noise whenever I use the engine brake. Like I step on the gas until I hit 3500rpms and then take my foot off. Whenever I do that, there's a weird grinding noise coming from the front left wheel, or so it seems.

Don't think it's the CV as the boots are still good and they don't click when turning tight, etc...

I went mudbashing on the weekend, could it be that some mud got into the wheel bearing or damaged it somehow?

Also of note, I did a tight right hand turn the other day and the tyre made a noise like it had collapsed or something, obviously it put a lot of strain on the bearing. Don't know if that could be it...

Tried lifting the front and shook the wheel to see if it was loose but it feels pretty solid. Any idea what it could be?

Any info welcome!

Cheers,

Jean

Sounds like a bearing or possibly brakes?

After you drive it around for a bit feel the hub on the drivers side and then compair same area too the passengers side as it may be creating more heat.. or simply take the knuckle off the axle end and inspect the bearings.... Do a search on the topic above at the Search button and that may help too (also look below at bottom of this page)

These cars arn't that hard to work on and very forgiving as you learn.

Keep us posted on how your doing etc...

Is it possible that the brake backing or *dust* plate gotten pushed against the disc? That combined with a very slight wheel bearing play could cause this. Whenever teh load goes back through the hub the disc could shift a tiny bit and rub on the backing plate. I had it happen once and it really freaked me out. Similar noise can happen if your exhaust or heat shields get pushed near the driveshaft. When you're off throttle the Trans shift the other way on it's mounts and this can move the driveline a few Millimeters and touch the exhaust/sheild. Sounds like grinding brakes or bearings.

Thanks, checked a few things based on above comments.

Sway bar is fine. Dust shield was slightly dented but not enough to touch the disc. Not brakes either as sound doesnt change when using them.

The front left bearing (where the noise seems to be coming from) has a minute amount of play, but barely discernible. Would tightening the nut help in any way? How tight does it need to be? Would I need to use a torque wrench or just tighten it up until play disappears?

Cheers,

Jean