Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone, I have been trying to get the coupler needed to charge my A/C system, which I didn't think would be that difficult but apparently it is. I have been to sevveral parts stores asking about the coupler and no one knows what I am talking about or says that you can't get them. So I don't know if I am asking for the right thing. I am looking for the "coupler" that attaches to the low side on the A/C system so that I can get my dad to charge it for me (he does refrideration but does not have a coupler that will fit on the car) Does anyone know what the proper name for this peice is? Also I spoke to one guy who kinda knew what I was talking about but he said i need to know what size for my car as they are all different, any ideas? What about online is there somewhere I can get one of these online?

Thanks

Denise

I have been to several parts stores asking about the coupler

The trouble is you are not buying a part, you are buying a "tool". My first choice, though the most expensive, would be to ask my Snap-On man. If you go to a "parts store" you want to look in their air conditioning parts catalogue, that just happens to have a selection of tools in it, I'm *thinking* Everco, who happens to be part of the Standard Motor Parts Group, though I'm sure there are others (Fairview?, Parker?), depending where you are and who you talk to. You *must* remember that a short time ago refrigeration "stuff" came under Enviormental protection and the sale of parts/tools is only supposed to happen to licenced trades people.

I have been to several parts stores asking about the coupler

The trouble is you are not buying a part, you are buying a "tool". My first choice, though the most expensive, would be to ask my Snap-On man. If you go to a "parts store" you want to look in their air conditioning parts catalogue, that just happens to have a selection of tools in it, I'm *thinking* Everco, who happens to be part of the Standard Motor Parts Group, though I'm sure there are others (Fairview?, Parker?), depending where you are and who you talk to. You *must* remember that a short time ago refrigeration "stuff" came under Enviormental protection and the sale of parts/tools is only supposed to happen to licenced trades people.

I will try that, then...Here I think it is still under the enviromental protection, but my Dad is licensed to do refridgeration so hopefully I won't have a problem actually buying the tool, as long as I can find it. Any idea about sizes at all?

In this area, Autozone sells a can of R134a with a re-usable fill hose. One end fits the can, one end fits the low side port on the car, and there's a pressure gauge in the middle.

There is no special license required to buy this, at least not in St. Louis MO.

In this area, Autozone sells a can of R134a with a re-usable fill hose. One end fits the can, one end fits the low side port on the car, and there's a pressure gauge in the middle.

There is no special license required to buy this, at least not in St. Louis MO.

Here we have those cans too except they are a substitute for 134A they are 12a and contain butane and are flammable :confused:

Here we have those cans too except they are a substitute for 134A they are 12a and contain butane and are flammable :confused:

IIRC the sale of r12 is currently prohibited in all 50 states. They do sell generic kits at most autoparts stores that will change an r12 system over to r134a. Cheap kits are just new hi/lo service ports. Some kits have to be sodded on while others are more like an adapter that locks onto the old style on the bottom and offers the new style on top. Expensive kits like this are vehicle specific but also have all new o-rings which is a good idea but not nessecary. The other parts cond., evap., etc., all do the job adequately enough for the r134a. The biggest difference other than the refrigerant chemical itself they changed from a petroleum based oil in the r12 to a synthetic called PAG. Also if you are changing it over you need to have the r12 recovered as its illegal to vent it into the atmosphere. Then you pull a vacuum and inject the new r134a with an extra healthy dose of the PAG oil. A uv dye is also a good thing to add so you can detect leaks if it seems to slowly lose its cooling capacity.

I wish you good luck with it.

88whitecat