Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Please - Horrible Grindin´ Noise in EA82

Well... I was Drivin´ today my White Wagon, and then the Engine Started makin´ a Horrible Grindin´ Noise, Just lika a Diesel Engine do!!! :eek:

What could it be? ... :-\ ... I Checked External Belts and they´re Fine, everythin´ seems to be Just Fine, engine starts and Revvs Pretty Nice, it woks Just fine, but the Grindin´ noise sound like a Boved sound, maybe from Plastic... :eek: ... it comes from the Driver´s Side, specifically the timin´ belt Area...

I´ll Check Tomorrow, but Any Suggestion is Welcome!

Thanx!

Best Regards.

JesZeK

First: Thank you soo much for your Kind Replies! :)

Then: I changed both Timin` Belts & "Just" the Ball Bearin` from the old Tensioner, (I`ve Changed Just the Ball Bearin` several Times... Maybe is time for a Brand New Tensioner) last december... and I rechecked `em when I changed the Oil Pump, in February of this Year... Everythin` was Fine then...

The Idea given by 86BRATMAN gave me a "Light in the Darkness"... it Really sounds like the Timin` Belt -or Somethin`- is Hitting the plastic Cover from the inside...:eek:

Sadly: I can`t check my Subie today, :mad: `cos I`m doin` some Serious -Special- Work at my Job... The Trouble started yesterday, and inmediately I asked a Friend who lives Nearby the place it happened, to let me keep my Subie in his Garage (he has spare space for one car) and I used his internet connection just to post this thread, I was in a Hurry, so I taked a Taxi... :-\ ...and Now I think that I will check my Subie `till Saturday Afternoon...

Well... Again Thank You! ...

Wish me Luck! :burnout:

You did the smart thing getting it off the road while you could still drive it. Odds are it would have jumped time and left you stranded.

I'd say it is time for a new tensioner, just to be on the safe side of things. It is a mojor pain to have to redo a timing belt job because you used an old one and it did exactlly this...:dead:

For now, and being "Jailed" on my Job`s office, I just called by Phone to the Dealer`s Parts Shop, and the vendor said that they`re two Diffrent Tensioner Pulleys for the EA82 Engine! :eek: one Shorter...

is That True? :confused:

Also, the Shorter one cost Around L 1000.ºº Lempíras (Our Currency, are around 20 per US Dollar, so is around $ 50.ºº) and the Larger one cost around Twice that Price...

What do you Think `bout? :confused:

I think there should be a Mistake... Maybe the Larger or the Shorter one not belongs to a EA series Engine...

Even that, that price is too High for me... :-\ ... so if the pulley isn`t broken, I`ll Change only the inner Ball Bearin`... Again.

and Again, Wish me Luck! :burnout:

When I was into the timing belts on my recent engine work, I noticed that one had warped from the engine heat, and had a nice groove cut into it from the back of the passenger side camshaft sprocket... might be something to look for?

There is a left side and a right side, but they are the same size.

If it makes a difference in the price, re-use the springs. They never fail. ...

Thank you Emily! :) Nice Idea!

Well... Great News! ... I´ve Repaired my EA82 Subie, and the "Horrible Grindin´ Noise" is Gone!!! :banana:

Last Saturday, I removed the Timin´ Belts Cover (And Almost Everythin´ between ´em and my Hands! :D ) and Discovered a Broken Ball Bearin´ :eek: on the Fixed Roller from the Driver´s Side Belt.

it was Soo Damaged, and it is Different than the Springed Ones, ´cos it´s fixed and the Bearin´ is part of the Structure, it is Impossible to Just "Change" the inner Ball Bearin´

So, I Obtained from the Dealer the new One, and my Road Warrior is Roarin´ Again! :headbang:

Excuse me for not post pics yet, My PC´s Hard Disk is Givin´ me Head Aches too ... th_pc27tj.gif...now the Pics I´ve taked are unavaliable, ´till I fix that PC up!

Soon I´ll post ´em Here! ... When I Repair my PC th_amor_compu.gifMy Friends always are tellin´ me, that I am Always Repairin´ Subies or PC s

Thanx for Everyone who Posted Here, I Appreciate that! Thanx for your Kind Help!!!

Best Regards.

JesZeK

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: So glad to hear you fixed it!! You 2 Loyales are too gorgous to let anything happen to them....Right now My wagon looks pathetic...he is up on jack stands waiting for parts with no rear wheels...But hopefully in about 2 weeks he will be all back in order.. Isnt this just the saddest sight:

BuckyBrakes008.jpg

excuse my dog..she is a ham and loves getting into pictures...especially when I am working on the cars:)

Thank you Connie, Your words about my Subies are Soo Kind!

:)

I Love Dogs! 07.gif Really, I Got Three, but no one Lives with me Actually, due to my Job... :-\ ... See:

SubiesPet2-Dog.jpg

This is "Figo" my Husky Malamute, and:

DoggyInside-EA81TaxyOutside.jpg

She is "Vodka" ... my other Dog! ... She´s "Half Blood" but very Lovely.

Also, I got a Thread on "Off Topic" Just about Subies & Pets!!! (That´s it´s Name)

Thanx! :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...

That idler can be rebuilt. As long as the "gear" pully isn't ruined. The bearing is a 6203 with contact seals. I always have a few "in stock" - I buy them from a local industrial bearing supply house. Less than $10.00. You need a small press or bearing splitter & gear puller.

I have repaired many many times like that, the Other Rollers, I mean the ones that got a pullin´ Springs attached, I´ve changed many times before Just the Ball Bearings ... but this fixed one roller, I really didn´t, ´cos the Outer side of the Bearin´ seems to be one piece with the Gear... well... or might be that I haven´t checked that well... :confused: ...or it is "Welded" due to Age, etc...

I´ll check, and if it can be Fixed, I´ll fix it up changin´ the Ball Bearin´ to got a Spare Roller!

Thank you! :burnout:

The outer race of the bearing is a tight fit in the gear. They usually make popping noises most of the way out. Use a big bolt or something to get even pressure - it has to be pushed straight. Yes, if it is all discolored from heat, it might not be a good one to fix.