Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid Drum Brake Question?New Questions

I have Buckys ( 92 Loyale FWD) rear brake pulled apart...it basically fell apart..took no effort what-so-ever ( the hardest part was getting the wheel off:rolleyes: )

I took pictures and laid parts out as they came off...couple of idiot I never did drum brakes before questions.

1. Are the wheel bearings supposed to just fall out on a FWD car???

2. wheel cylinder....one side pushes in easily..other side doesnt or when it does entire inners shift to one side ( does that make sence?)Bad wheel cylinder? it did spray a minute bit of brake fluid out so I am assuming air in the lines.

3. Does the car have to be running to bleed the brakes since it has the power assisted booster?( I think Like I said dumb questions huh??).

Thanks a Million for any help.

I put his new unclouded no moisture perfect like new headlight in..OMG does it look nice..now I need to put like new lights the rest of the way around:)

on my hatch the bearings fell out when i did the rear brakes. i just sprayed em off with brake cleaner and regreased them when they were ready to go back on.

i think you may need a new wheel cylinder. not to worry though, they're relatively cheap.

yeah, you have to start the car to bleed the brakes. do them in opposite corners too, like right front, left rear, left front, right rear.

hope any of this helps.

cant help about the wheel cylinder questions, BUT i will say that you do NOT need to have the car running to bleed the brakes... I rarely do so. It would be more effective, though.. I learned to wrench on datsuns, and they are notorious for running rich, == exhaust fumes, == don't want to die from bleeding my brakes. i LOVE the smell of carbon monoxide in the morning!

I just ordered new wheel cylinders and shoes and hardware kit for Bucky( they will be in next Friday.) I found the spacer..the one that slides on the spindel before the inner bearring has sever machining wear on it. We cannot find a part number to order a new one. Any help on this?? Can you get new ones or does anyone have some laying around they want to get rid of. I really dont want to reuse this one.

Thanks for all the help so far... BTW ..I was looking at how hard it will be to replace the rear shocks...looks like a piece of cake ;)

Have I annoyed everyone yet????:grin: Next Dumb question....Is the brake set up supposed to be different for each side??? I am posting pics of each... Also,....outter wheel bearing definately shot on left rear..all seem fine on right rear.

Left rear ( this side was grinding)( I forgot what my left and right was...this is the right side..passenger)

BuckyBrakes002.jpg

Right rear..all looks clean and much newer cept for the fact the one shoe was about gone. See above..this is the drivers side...left side ..DER.flame away )

BuckyBrakes006.jpg

Next Dumb question....Is the brake set up supposed to be different for each side???

No, they should be the same.

Looks like the left side might have been replaced, with the older style setup.

On the shock removal.

Uh uh. Not a piece of cake. The 2 top bolts are extremely hard to break loose and remove. At least this is what I've encountered in the dozen or so pairs I've removed. I use 2 6in extensions and a 1/2in drive ratchet or breaker bar. And it takes all my weight and muscle to break them loose.

And I have adequate amounts of both:-p

So basically...I have to find a hub assembly from a Loyale FWD and replace the whole thing right?? geesh..just when I thought this wasnt going to be so bad:confused: :mad: and all the parts I just ordered are all for a FWD 92 Loyale...guess Bucky is really down now since he is torn apart.... Anyone have a rear drum hub assembly for a 92 Loyale FWD?

No, whats there should work. To make sure just check the brake shoes to each other. If they are the same length, your good to go.

I've only done one rear brake job on a EA car, it was a EA81 and years ago. The EA82 might be a little different side to side. The one on the right side looks like it has a self adjuster on it and the left doesnt. Not sure if thay are all like that or not. I'll check my FSM and see what it shows.

Quicky update***

The (86)FSM shows that you have a 2wd drum on the left side and a 4wd drum on the right. Now, for your year that might be standard, dont know for sure.

But your left side is a manual adjust and the right side is a auto adjust. May not affect anything, but you will have to adjust your left brake when your done. On the back side theres a square peg. Turning this 1/4 to 1/2 will push the shoes out against the drum. Hope this helps.

No, whats there should work. To make sure just check the brake shoes to each other. If they are the same length, your good to go.

I've only done one rear brake job on a EA car, it was a EA81 and years ago. The EA82 might be a little different side to side. The one on the right side looks like it has a self adjuster on it and the left doesnt. Not sure if thay are all like that or not. I'll check my FSM and see what it shows.

I dont think the new shoes will have the holes for that gold strut adjuster thingy

if i recall correctly from doing the 89 GL's - i know the backing plates themselves were differnet between the 2wd & 4wd (larger center hole) - pretty much everything else was the same - but i could be wrong, it has been a while.

not sure what the "manual adjust" setup is off of, the 89's both had the self adjusters, but the bottom looked more like the manual setup you have pictured...

curiouser and curiouser....