Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally a cure:..Lubgaurd added to the PS fluid

For those that are interested to know..several months ago I was seeking a solution to the whinning of the PS pump when first starting the car ('01 Outback 45Kmi).. ..also another problem (shuddering or vibration of the steering wheel) would "sometimes" make itself known when wanting to turn "left" after idleing at the corner waiting for the light to turn green (never happened when turning "right" for example from a stop sign)...now after trying all of the "good suggestions" received here like, flushing the fluid, new hose clamps to prevent air from leaking in the system, etc and short of replacing the pump, I was hopeing "time" would solve the problem also, but no it did not...spending $6 on the Lubguard PS additive so far has worked wonders after driving around town for the last 150mi with No indication of any problem..maybe I am just plain lucky or this product has helped for the time being??... never the less, it would have been nice to know what the actual problem was with that PS unit

Bought at Napa ( lubeguard.com....then click on automotive)..make sure that the hose clamps from the resouvier going to the pump are tight,,,I had to replace the clamps on my car..I hope it works for you...

I am having a similar issue with my '02. Where did you buy this stuff?