Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 LOBW - Mysterious Noises While Braking...ABS?

Since I've owned this car, when I leave my garage and apply the brakes for the first time since the engine's been fired up, the brakes feel like they lose pressure (momentarily) and a strange groaning/farting noise that sounds like it's coming from the forward part of the engine compartment.

It only used to happen leaving my building, but yesterday I experienced the same thing as I came to the end of a freeway off-ramp. The episode lasts approximately 1-2 seconds

Otherwise the brakes work fine...BTW, I have plenty of pedal and ample meat on the pads.

Most recent brake work: two months ago I had both ABS relay switches replaced when one failed.....but the above syndrome was happening PRIOR to the switch replacement.

I'm genereally not inclined to take a "wait-n-see" approach on my brake system, but nor do I want to buy any unnecessary repairs if this is a congential problem with the early LOBW brake system.

Thanks!

Mark

Ps. My '92 LOBW (w/ABS) never did anything like this.

Hi, not sure if this is helpful but here it is:

ABS System Check (EndWrench)

The ABS Electronic Control Unit checks all system components, including the Hydraulic Control Unit, each time the vehicle is started. When the Hydraulic Control Unit is operating during this checking period, the owner/technician may hear a noise/buzzing coming from the engine compartment.

They may also feel the brake pedal pulsating slightly if their foot is on the brake pedal. This pulsating of the brake pedal may be more noticeable when backing down a slight grade (sloping driveway). It may also be felt when moving forward. The check is not performed until a speed sensor input is received by the ABS Electronic Control Unit. This is a normal function and no repairs should be attempted.

[...]

It only used to happen leaving my building, but yesterday I experienced the same thing as I came to the end of a freeway off-ramp. The episode lasts approximately 1-2 seconds

[...]

Any ABS lamp indication? Weather/road conditions at time you experienced the condition? (Was it raining in Seattle? :) )

Could be just "morning sickness". I've never owned a Subaru that hasn't had one form or another... squeaks, squeals, moans, groans, thumps, thuds or chatter. My Baja is one megahertz below a dog whistle... makes you cringe... like Quint drawing his nails down the chalkboard in Jaws.

If it's humid and damp, my '86 damn near howls at the moon, scares an unfamiliar driver (Tim) and lasts as long as the rain/humidity does :)

Our MY95 does after a startup too, totally normal ABS system self check. As for the end of the ramp, you may have been braking hard and hit an oil patch or some other slippery spot. I've felt the ABS kick in while braking hard or on an curve when the tires were turning at different speeds.

Any ABS lamp indication? Weather/road conditions at time you experienced the condition? (Was it raining in Seattle? :) )

No ABS lamp....and the roads were (unusually!) dry.

According to the other posts, looks like everything's normal!!!

Thanks for the feedback!

MM