Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My day with a BFH and a come along

Well the saga continues, with the words of encouragement I went to work seeing what i could do with the front end of my wagon.

Lets just say 100% improvement. I think right now I could mount a headlight and it wouldn't be pointing at the ground.

Not all of the places I needed to bang on were accessible. And are going to have to wait till I take the motor out. But for a guy with no body skills and no plans on learning any, I have to say, not bad.

How my driveway sat for 6 hours.

P5270021.jpg

My thing that i made to hook up to the bumper mount and the come along.

P5270022.jpg

Yes that is a big hole in my frame. This is where it was folded over. And no matter how much i pulled or put heat to it or banged on it, it wouldn't move. So I figure remove the folded parts on the sides and the top shouldn't be strong enough to resist the heat, come along and the BFH, and it worked, pretty well anyways. I am going to put some metal patches in the holes later on.

P5270023.jpg

Factory lower radiator support, FUBAR. Replacement one, 1/4" C channel, just tacked in for right now. There was no way of getting the factory one even close to being strait. So I took someones advice and made a new one.

P5270025.jpg

The good side and what it is supposed to look like.

P5270027.jpg

The bad side and not what it's supposed to look like. But looks much better then when I started.

P5270026.jpg

Just a strait down of the battery spot. This needs some banging around, but will have to wait till I pull the motor.

P5270028.jpg

Why yes that is my tire you can see through my frame. :grin:

P5270029.jpg

OMG that is hilarious. I was laughing pretty good.

Looks like something I would do. Keep up the good work!

I bet all your neighbors looked at you funny all day.:clap:

Nothing like sitting out side with a BFH and beating the sh*t out of your car, then pulling out the chop saw and going to town, and then air compressor running nonstop.

But fortunately my neighborhood is kind of a upper end ghetto. The guy across the street feels he should floor his no muffler truck every time he starts it. And then there is the motorcycle shop that is always winding out the 2 strokes in back of their shop.

I like my neighborhood, I fit in just fine.

Hell I have had a car in front of my house that has been there for over 6 months and no one has said anything.

Good Show, Old bean!!!

:lol:

Seriously, thats some great work!! I hope it comes together halfway well! I'm REALLY glad you went ahead and kept trying, man. A touring wagon isn't something to pass on lightly, and it looks like you had more aces up your sleeve than you thought.

Good luck on further progress, and dont forget that its wise to do a little painting on exposed metal within a couple days, just to avoid surface rusting. (any more knowledgable advice on this front? its more of an idea on my part than "informed advice")

This is something I did to my mom's legacy.

I smashed a deer at 80mph last april in it. I knew if it was turned in to insurance it would be totalled for sure. A tow cable, tree, bf rubber hammer, and a couple hours made it good as new. Sort of...

This is something I did to my mom's legacy.

I smashed a deer at 80mph last april in it. I knew if it was turned in to insurance it would be totalled for sure. A tow cable, tree, bf rubber hammer, and a couple hours made it good as new. Sort of...

You should have reported it to insurance, bought it back for $50 and THEN fixed it (like I did with my GL) Yes the title gets branded but you get a nice fatty check too :banana:

You should have reported it to insurance, bought it back for $50 and THEN fixed it (like I did with my GL) Yes the title gets branded but you get a nice fatty check too :banana:

I did that with one of my Integra's a few years back. But mom wouldn't hear of it.

Well the old girl is going to have to sit in the corner till next weekend when i get a chance to smack it around some more. And truly I might have to wait till I pull my motor till I do any more straiting work. I need to be in the engine bay to get some of the angles that I need to be at.

You know I always knew these wagons were rare, but I found an even rarer option inside, a working clock. :lol: Man now i got to fix it.

I bounced my 1986 MR2 off a guardrail in the rain once. Didnt do me a lot of good either. Got it home. Drilled a hole in the subframe that held on the headlights and stuff. Stuck an eyebolt thru it, with washers so it wouldn't rip out. Attached a big rope to eyebolt. Other end of rope to telephone pole. Backed up a few times. Not show quality, but a lot cheaper than a body shop.

Where there's a will to be cheap, there's a way to be cheap.