Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idle mix screw, '86 EA82 Hitachi?

Is there one? I cant seem to find it if there is. :) Thing is idling horribly since I put new plugs in it.

You have to dig out the filler material to get to it, down near the front base of carb. I would only adjust it as a last resort. It doesn't do anything really noticeable really as far as I can tell either. But it is down there if you dig.

Left(ccw)=rich

Right(cw)=Lean

But without a an exhaust anylyzer you'll be shooting in the dark cause you can't tell it's changing anything while adjusting.

So you are saying it is unlike a normal automobile carb, as far as adjusting the idle mix. I can do that by ear on all my other rigs.

Then why would it be idling rough with new plugs installed? Before it idled fine but the plugs were shot. The gap was burnt out to, well....a very big gap. Terrible time hot starting now and then.

Probably something else...first off if its idling crappy just after you did the plugs i would make sure that all the plug wires are tight where they are supposed to be. In the past ive made the mistake of not pushing the coil wire all the way in till it clicked. Also check around for a vacuum line that got unplugged in the mist of doing the plugs and wires. Vacuum leaks can cause the symptoms you describe.

I've done both of them...nothing so far. I think I will ditch all the vacuum plugs and drop a dab of epoxy in the holes and let it sit over night. It could be a cracked nipple plug, which I doubt.

I've done both of them...nothing so far. I think I will ditch all the vacuum plugs and drop a dab of epoxy in the holes and let it sit over night. It could be a cracked nipple plug, which I doubt.

Cracked or brittle and leaking. I would actually suspect this first. You need some of those vac ports to run the secondaries on the carb and the vacuum advance. as well as the purge for the carb bowl, the Anti Afterburn Valve and other. That stuff is all there for a reason.

Should you decide to replace the vacuum lines(a much better idea, I think) you should know there are small metal inserts in the tubes that restrict the amount of vacuum to certain parts. marked as *orifice* on the diagrams. Make sure to fish them out and replace in the new vac tubing.

Note **If you didn't install NGKs, take out whatever you put in and get some.

All but the needed lines are gone. There must be 6 caps total, just guessing. most were gone when I got it. I yanked the rest out years ago.

This is a very bare engine. Yes, they are NGK's.