Ultimate Subaru Message Board

its always something with this @%^*@$^!^@%

went to go change the oil and the damn bolt is stripped and not moving a budge....ahhhhhhhhh!!!! vice grips and a hammer?

Is the head stripped, or the threads?

Try tapping the bolt with a hammer (just tapping, not pounding) before trying to loosen the plug..that may help break the torque.

Either way, you have plenty of EA81 inventory nearby to just "borrow" a new plug from one of the non-running ones. Brian's old wagon comes to mind. Be sure to replace the washer on the drain plug, o/w it'll most likely drip. Try and avoid Fram oil filters, but I'm sure you've heard it enough around the Board already:rolleyes: .

vice grips on so tight that with both hands you can only just squeeze them on. Then undo it with your hands or feet. And also get a new plug afterwards.

If that doesn't work.. You can drill out the center of the plug, try your hardest to get it out with "easy outs" and bigger drills, and so on.. then just put a thread in that plug and use a bolt as a new plug..

vice grips on so tight that with both hands you can only just squeeze them on. Then undo it with your hands or feet. And also get a new plug afterwards.

If that doesn't work.. You can drill out the center of the plug, try your hardest to get it out with "easy outs" and bigger drills, and so on.. then just put a thread in that plug and use a bolt as a new plug..

Yeah, the Vise Grips on good and tight ought to work. You may try using the box end of a big wrench on one of the handles of the Vise Grips to get loose (you'll figure it out), then the rest is easy.

Ya might want to have your replacement plug and washer in your posession before starting the job.

If it is a stripped head, are you trying to turn it with a 12 point or a 6 point wrench/socket? If you are trying to use a 12 point, get a 6 point socket because it will have more contact with the drain plug.

Sounds like the plug is missing the gasket/washer. I ran into this years ago on a then girlfriends car, the last dope under it didn't install the thin alunimum(or copper) washer and the damn thing siezed right up. I had to take it to a shop so they could get it up on the lift to get leverage.

I recommend either a pipe wrench with a cheater pipe, or drill out the center of it and tap it for a piggy back plug untill you can get it out.

this is the hardest thing i have every tried to get off anything!!!! the oil drain plug is on there and its looking like for good.the hex nut is completely stripped and ive tried....VICE GRIPS arent cut out for this job. even done it lubed!!!! is there anyway this *************** is coming out!!!! any drilling suggestions:Flame:

you can always try thwe sears easy out thinggy.... I dont remember what it is called but head over to sears and ask them what kinda easyout kits do they have!!! theyll have something! Also when you put the new one on, try to take it easy this time!!! :-p

And NO OFFENCE AT ALL I do this all the time but, make sure you are turning it the right way! although, not it will be hard to turn it at all.... trust me, it happens to the best of us!!!

Try and avoid drilling. Think about it: when the drill penetrates through, the dirty, nasty oil will get all over your drill, you, and your driveway.

The Vise Grips should work. Get them on there good and tight, and use some sort of cheater (as long as you can) over the handle of the vise grips to get the plug off.

Before starting, you may want to drive the drivers side side of your car onto a ramp or something higher than the other side, to get a little more ground clearance. Be sure to set your parking brake and block your wheels.

You'll need to find a good replacement plug, too. Avalable nearby (Brian's old wagon for example, or maybe JB might have something laying around). I'm hitting PNP Wednesday, if you haven't found anything by that time, I can snag one and mail it to ya..should have it by Friday or Saturday. If anyone out there has a blown EA81, or an extra oil drain plug, please contact this guy and maybe he'll have the plug in his hands before I can get one to him:) .

Patience, D.

oooh yeah kudos on the drilling, BAD, although I never think about the consequences of poking a hole into someting full of fluids :-\ The visegrips, depending on the type I am asuming their the standard visegrip, may work, if you get them on there tight enough! but I can guaranty that some place has the out set you need, but I can understand that if This works that who needs it!!! Good luck!!!

well........ GET AN AIR CHISLE!!!! OH YEAH BABEY that would knock it off really really fast!!! and of you do it right it shouldnt damage the pan, unless it just ripps the head off and leaves the bolt in there, then its easyout time, and WOW DID EVERYONE JUST WAKEUP!!! tons of people posted on this really fast:banana:

wow thanks for all of the suggestions....hey dave i might want to come to PnP with ya:) but dang ok yeah and for the record this will be the first oil change with me owning the car so that means Mendodave F#####K's these plugs up. i just looked at the "spare" i had from the engine downstairs and he F###Ked that one up too!

you can always try thwe sears easy out thinggy.... I dont remember what it is called but head over to sears and ask them what kinda easyout kits do they have!!! theyll have something! Also when you put the new one on, try to take it easy this time!!! :-p

And NO OFFENCE AT ALL I do this all the time but, make sure you are turning it the right way! although, not it will be hard to turn it at all.... trust me, it happens to the best of us!!!

link?

double post!!!:Flame:

although, the one from harbor freight will work, it will also weigh about abilliontrillionkagillionbillionmilliontrillionaziilion pounds, but, it will work... OH YOUR TALKING ABOUT THE SMALL ONE!! hahahahahaha, me use big beefy everything BEEFY :headbang: :headbang: