Ultimate Subaru Message Board

its always something with this @%^*@$^!^@%

I had this problem too. It was caused by not changing the crush washer often enough. They can be used for maybe 2-3 oil changes, beyond that, the torque required to seal seems to bond them to the sump.

The problem is made worse by the fact that the plug's wrench flats are tapered. I have noticed this on lots of the fasteners on my Subaru. A bit of wear or corrosion, and even a 6 point won't grip. They ride up and slip on the smaller section of the flats.

Vice grips and pipe wrenches are very difficult to get on, especially if the sump guard is still in place. Grinding or filing new flats is the best bet. Make them parallel, not tapered like the originals. Grind them down to the next smaller size, probably 5/8"?

If you do a good job, you can probably continue to use the same plug, but get new crush washers. They come in a bag of 5, buy the whole bag.

A pipe wrench will get that thing off. Take the skid plate off put the pipe wrench on the plug. I have been doing oil changes for a living for quite a while and the pipe wrench always works. Heating the drain plug with a propane torch will also do wonders for you. Dont drill. the oil will be very bad for your drill. Dont chisel. You miss and you just might put a hole in your pan. Bob Dole knows it you know it and the American people know it. A pipe wrench is your friend.